Skill Assessment and 186 ENS

Nick UK

Hi everyone!

I have a positive but expired skills assessment (because the positively assessed employment is no longer in the last 5 years) and so would like to include additional years of employment for assessment. I have been advised and it seems clear from VETASSESS' website that the correct form in this scenario is SRG35.

However, what is confusing is that the Explanatory Notes of the SRG35 state the form should NOT be used if the applicant intends to migrate under the Employer Nomination Scheme. Having said that, on the same page of Explanatory Notes it states that VETASSESS undertakes assessments for all VISA classes including those under the ENS?! This makes no sense. My Skill Level 3 occupation requires a VETASSESS skills assessment as does the 186 ENS VISA so does anyone know if I should still use the SRG35 to have my additional and more recent years of employment assessed? Bear in mind I already have a positive skills assessment so a brand new assessment is not required according to VETASSESS' own website. So it's all very confusing and contradictory. I've emailed VETASSESS and spoken to them but they haven't as yet answered my question properly so I thought I would try here in the meantime!

If anyone knows the answer please share!

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

For 186 you must establish that your qualifications, in combination with your previous experience has been assessed by the appropriate authority (eg Vetassess) as suitable for the occupation to which the nomination applies, and that you are eligible for any applicable State registrations and/or licences.

In addition you need to establish (in your 186 visa application) that you have worked at least three years full time in the nominated occupation since obtaining your qualification/s.

The SRG35 form is used to request a Points Advice Letter (including updated evidence if applicable) and hence is only relevant if you are applying for a points based visa under the General Skilled Migration program such as subclass 189 for example. Points have no relevance in 186 visa applications.

Skills assessments for 186 purposes must be current in that they can be up to 3 years old if no earlier expiry date was specified on the original assessment. Rather than lodge a SRG35 you may need to lodge a request to Vetassess to have your original skills assessment re-issued or re-validated ( see https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-assessment-for-migration/general-occupations/renewal-expired-skills-assessment )

Details of relevant work experience completed since you became qualified in your occupation must be lodged with your 186 visa application and do not need to be validated by Vetassess.

Hi Ricco

Thank you for your reply.

It stated that 1 year of post qualification in highly relevant field was acceptable, is this not the case?

My original positive assessment had a 2 year expiry which expired in 2015 so that year I made a successful application to VETASSESS to have it 'validated' in 2015 which I have on file. However, my confusion is that the years of employment assessed on the original assessment were 2010-2012. Given the years assessed are not now within the last 5 years (well 2010 isn't but 2011 and 2012 are) do I need a new assessment? I gained the qualification in highly relevant field in 2012 and combined with my 10 year employment experience received the positive assessment. But I am now unsure what to do or if I need another assessment or not. I left my job in Sept 2015 in order to emigrate so if 3 years post qualification experience is needed then it's a bit close for comfort. My understanding from VETASSESS' own website is only 1 year post qual experience is required if the qual is in highly relevant field which mine is, as is my employment history.

Last thing I want is to go for a new assessment if I don't need to.

What do you think?

Hi Nick

For 186 you must establish that your qualifications, in combination with your previous experience has been assessed by the appropriate authority (eg Vetassess) as suitable for the occupation to which the nomination applies, and that you are eligible for any applicable State registrations and/or licences.

In addition you need to establish (in your 186 visa application) that you have worked at least three years full time in the nominated occupation since obtaining your qualification/s.

The SRG35 form is used to request a Points Advice Letter (including updated evidence if applicable) and hence is only relevant if you are applying for a points based visa under the General Skilled Migration program such as subclass 189 for example. Points have no relevance in 186 visa applications.

Skills assessments for 186 purposes must be current in that they can be up to 3 years old if no earlier expiry date was specified on the original assessment. Rather than lodge a SRG35 you may need to lodge a request to Vetassess to have your original skills assessment re-issued or re-validated ( see https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-assessment-for-migration/general-occupations/renewal-expired-skills-assessment )

Details of relevant work experience completed since you became qualified in your occupation must be lodged with your 186 visa application and do not need to be validated by Vetassess.

The important issues are:

1. Your existing assessment should confirm that you have a qualification which meet the requirements for work in the nominated occupation/position.

2. The six digit ANZSCO code for the nominated occupation must be specifically mentioned in the assessment notice.

3. You have documentary evidence (eg pay records) which confirms that you have completed at least 36 months of (full time equivalent) relevant occupational experience since obtaining your qualification. This experience does not have to be continuous but must all be at the appropriate skill level. Location (onshore or offshore) of occupational experience is not relevant.

The legislation and policy documents do not refer to any exceptions to the three year work experience requirement. I'd be interested to follow this up if you provide your reference to it on the Vetassess website.

As to whether your particular assessment meets the requirements for 186 you should seek confirmation from Vetassess and/or seek professional advice from a registered migration agent.

Please see this link:

https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-assessment-for-migration/general-occupations/nominate-an-occupation

There are other references on their website which I will have to find when I get home. Perhaps for Points Based applications it is slightly different. My understanding was that if your qual is not in a highly relevant field then the post qual experience had to be 3 years. I will try to find this and send in later today.

1. Your existing assessment should confirm that you have a qualification which meet the requirements for work in the nominated occupation/position.

2. The six digit ANZSCO code for the nominated occupation must be specifically mentioned in the assessment notice.

3. You have documentary evidence (eg pay records) which confirms that you have completed at least 36 months of (full time equivalent) relevant occupational experience since obtaining your qualification. This experience does not have to be continuous but must all be at the appropriate skill level. Location (onshore or offshore) of occupational experience is not relevant.

The legislation and policy documents do not refer to any exceptions to the three year work experience requirement. I'd be interested to follow this up if you provide your reference to it on the Vetassess website.

As to whether your particular assessment meets the requirements for 186 you should seek confirmation from Vetassess and/or seek professional advice from a registered migration agent.

Here here is the link:

https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-assessment-for-migration/general-occupations/nominate-an-occupation

My occupation is Real Estate Representative and it clearly states 1 year post qual employment if qual in highly relevant field.

Re the other points you mentioned. Yes I have a formal positive assessment from V with the correct occupation code. In addition I have another 'validated, assessment dated 2015 with no expiry date on it. However the original assessment did have an expiry on it. So the tricky part is whether I need an updated assessment given the assessed years of employment in the original outcome letter are no longer in the last 5 years. If you check the 'expired assessments' section on their website you will see why the correct course of action for me is simply not clear .

Here here is the link:

[h=3]Real Estate Representative(ANZSCO Code 612115)[/h]

This occupation requires a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Certificate IV, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years in a field which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If employment is not post-qualification, then three additional years of highly relevant employment are required.

If the qualification is not in a highly relevant field, two years of employment at an appropriate skill level, completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation is required.

If the applicant holds a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Certificate III in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation, then three years of highly relevant employment completed in the last five years is required.

A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome.

My occupation is Real Estate Representative and it clearly states 1 year post qual employment if qual in highly relevant field.

Re the other points you mentioned. Yes I have a formal positive assessment from V with the correct occupation code. In addition I have another 'validated, assessment dated 2015 with no expiry date on it. However the original assessment did have an expiry on it. So the tricky part is whether I need an updated assessment given the assessed years of employment in the original outcome letter are no longer in the last 5 years. If you check the 'expired assessments' section on their website you will see why the correct course of action for me is simply not clear .

In general

A 186 (direct entry) applicant will only be lodging their visa application once they have received an offer of employment from an employer who has lodged a successful Nomination Application for the position. Note the applicant is not compelled to rely on an offer through Skillselect for this and can pursue their own arrangements.

A re-validated skill assessment confirms the applicant’s skills assessment is still relevant for the nominated position. What is most important is for the visa applicant to establish as to when they were first deemed to be qualified so that they can show that they have had at least three years occupational experience since qualifying (even if completed over more than three years).

The three year work experience is required under Legislation for 186 direct entry applicants and is separate from any work experience requirements listed as part of the ANZSCO description. The ANZSCO listing for occupations often specify work experience requirements, and these are taken into account by skills assessment authorities, but this work experience may or may not contribute to the three year post qualification experience, depending on when the qualification was deemed to be obtained.

It is important that the re-validated skills assessment be issued within the three years immediately preceding the 186 application, and hence it will depend on when the 186 is lodged as to whether a new re-validation will be needed.

It is sufficient for the applicant to lodge details of their work experience with their 186 application without first having this work experience considered by an assessment authority. If a case officer needs further clarification of work experience (or any other aspects of the 186 application) they will lodge such requests with the applicant or their representative.

Therefore in the case of an applicant for a 186 as a Real Estate Representative the key issue is whether they can meet the work experience and related mandatory licensing requirements. Licensing is carried out by different authorities in each State.

In summary:

A 186 application tends to be complex in that it involves both a nomination application (Step 1) and a subsequent visa application (Step 2).

Licensed occupations add another layer of complexity.

Recommendation:

I believe it would be in your interest to seek professional advice from a registered migration agent with particular experience in managing applications in the Real Estate occupations.

• 10 months later...

Hey @Nick UK, really interested to see if you applied for the SRG35 and whether that worked for your 186 visa application?? 

My case is a little different; an employer mistook my experience dates on my statement of service, and has lead to a positive outcome but with wrong dates. So I'm looking to basically have my skills assessment redone with the corrected dates, according to my case officer I should fill out the SRG35 application filled out along with a letter explaining the circumstances...which i have done as I need the result ASAP due to my 186 application being lodged, but also noticed the small print saying not suitable for Employer Nominated Scheme.....am I trusting the case officer too much? did your application result in an updated skills assessment suitable for a 186 application?

Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Archived