What counts as Experience for 189/190 Visa

John Fennell

Hi,

I've just received a positive skills assessment for Sheetmetal Trades Worker (322211) from TRA with the plan of applying for a 189 visa. I have 4 years full time experience as a self employed sheet metal worker with my own metal shop, although I never did formal training. I used an agent to help with the visa, I'd told them I had no qualifications and they assured me I had the right amount of experience to get 5 points so would just reach the 60 points (so long as I can get the 20 points for english). They have been great helping me get me though the TRA however after I passed my skills assessment they told me that my experience isn't enough for 5 points as I never did formal training, so all the 4 years experience would just count as training rather then work experience therefor leaving me 5 points short. So I'm a little annoyed with them as I think that they should have know this before as I'd specifically enquired about the lack of official training. The agent has informed me that I can still apply for a NSW 190 visa to make up the 5 points which is fine although me being of the cynical nature can't help but think there sending me down that route so they can get more money out of me (yeah I know typical Yorkshireman).

Could anyone offer any advice on weather I can claim the experience points, I have the Certificate 3 Sheetmetal Trades Worker from TRA and 4 years experience in the trade in total with no other related qualifications.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give,

Cheers John

Edited by John Fennell

Have you just done an Australian qualification? You could get a 190 to get five more points. The TRA, if you haven't got any qualifications 3 years of "training " so that means you only have 1 year experience and that would give you 0 points. How many years have you done your job?

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I just got the Australian Qualification from the TRA, and the 4 years is the total I've done in that trade so what you've said about the 3 years "training" must have been what happened giving me 1 year experience. Do they let you know the amount of points you can claim do to experience when you claim if you have any that is?

Yep Looks like the 190 for me then, at least I won't have to submit loads of evidence for employment again was a right nightmare finding enough evidence being self employed without official pay checks and employment contracts!

Cheers

Just confirming that Barry1986 is correct in that you require at least 36 months of (offshore) relevant post-qualification work experience to get the 5 points. Also to obtain 20 points for your English language skills you need to be assessed as having 'Superior English'. This may take careful planning and preparation.

I'm in Sheffield at the moment Barry, was working in the steel industry there and have just sold my business, the industries kinda going down so thought I'd get out before things get any worse.

Cheers Ricco, yeah I'm just looking into the the IELTS now looks like I'm going to need to do a lot of studying!

Hi,

I've just received a positive skills assessment for Sheetmetal Trades Worker (322211) from TRA with the plan of applying for a 189 visa. I have 4 years full time experience as a self employed sheet metal worker with my own metal shop, although I never did formal training. I used an agent to help with the visa, I'd told them I had no qualifications and they assured me I had the right amount of experience to get 5 points so would just reach the 60 points (so long as I can get the 20 points for english). They have been great helping me get me though the TRA however after I passed my skills assessment they told me that my experience isn't enough for 5 points as I never did formal training, so all the 4 years experience would just count as training rather then work experience therefor leaving me 5 points short. So I'm a little annoyed with them as I think that they should have know this before as I'd specifically enquired about the lack of official training. The agent has informed me that I can still apply for a NSW 190 visa to make up the 5 points which is fine although me being of the cynical nature can't help but think there sending me down that route so they can get more money out of me (yeah I know typical Yorkshireman).

Could anyone offer any advice on weather I can claim the experience points, I have the Certificate 3 Sheetmetal Trades Worker from TRA and 4 years experience in the trade in total with no other related qualifications.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give,

Cheers John

Hi John

I feel your frustration. You have two obvious options as I see it.

1. Go down the 190 state sponsorship route and get an extra 5 points to bring you up to 60 points. You will be able to check (I think, 190 is a less predictable than 189) whether the state is sponsoring 60 pointers in your profession and assuming it is, then this should be your fastest route to a visa.

2. Wait until you achieve the minimum experience (2 more years if I have read correctly below). They you should be able to apply through the 189 category.

I would go for the state sponsorship route if I were you...

Good luck

Hi John,

Note that IELTS is only one of a number of English testing systems recognised under the points system legislation. It may be worth researching some of the others to see whether they might be better for you (eg. PTE Academic).

Do they let you know the amount of points you can claim do to experience when you claim if you have any that is?

They do if you pay them extra. Their opinions carry weight, but are not binding.

From what has been posted, it looks as if you might pay a fee to be told you have zero points for work experience. You agent has apparently advised you about this.

It costs nothing extra to list 190 on an Expression of Interest and if your were invited by NSW (the only way to be nominated by NSW) you would have to part with the $300 NSW fee plus whatever, if anything, your agent might bill you for applying to NSW. Why not ask your agent about any extra fees?

This is not a considered professional opinion about how you might proceed.

Thanks for all the advice guys, its really helping. I've decided to go the state sponsored route as my experience more then likely won't be worth any points, my trade (sheet Metal Tradeworkers) has a ceiling of 1000 of which only 8 people have got a visa so far since sept '15 so I expect they'll be fine with 60 point applications. Its a bit of a dying trade in the UK, working in sheffield (UKs steel city) I don't think I met another sheet metal worker under 50.

I've decided to go it on my own, the agent wants another £350 just for the NSW application plus the $300 for the application, I'm going to be rowing to Australia at this rate! The VETASSESS looks like it was the hardest part which I couldn't have done without help in all honesty, but from here onwards looks more simple.

Just booked in for a PTE test, thanks for the recommendation. My hand writing is terrible so doing it all on the computer will be a massive help!