Canadian Junior Lawyer - LLB From UK - Relocating to Melbourne on Partner Visa.

Jbassi

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and hoping you knowledgeable people would be so kind as to advise me.

I am a newly called lawyer practising in Vancouver, Canada. I obtained my LLB from the UK and moved back to Canada to requalify as a lawyer here. I am now moving to Australia with my Australian partner (after just becoming a lawyer!). I have

I have been in contact with VLAB and understand I must forward all my documents to this to have my credentials assessed. I have examined in detail the Uniform Principles for Overseas Lawyers and trying to figure out how many exams I will have to complete and whether I will have to do the PLT.

Like Australia, I had to apply in Canada to have my LLB assessed and was assigned the relevant exams. Upon completing these, I completed my in-firm training and Practical Legal Training Course to be admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor in Canada.

Keeping my above history/qualification in mind (ie - UK LLB and qualified in Canada after completing similar assessment to Australia and completing Canadian Version of PLT) what is my re-qualification likely to be like? My situation is unique cause I have studied in both UK and Canada so I am hoping the board takes this into consideration when assessing my file. The staff at VLAB have been super helpful and explained I may very well only have to complete a few exams and may be exempted from PLT as I have just completed it in Canada.

Any advice or guidance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!!

Archived