489 to 887

Hi All,

I was granted a NT sponsored 489 visa in November 2013. I entered into Australia on 20th June 2014. Since then I have been residing in Darwin and working full time as per the visa conditions. However during this period I left the country 2 times on holidays totaling 40 days.

Will I be eligible to apply for the 887 visa (permanent residency) after the 20th June this year or would i need to wait an additional 40 days due to the time away on holidays?

Thank you for your input.:confused:

Good question. The time of application criteria in the Regulations specifies 2 years (ie. 2 calendar years) and the guidelines for interpreting this confirms that reasonable periods of 'leave' spent outside the regional location, either in a metro area or overseas, do not detract from the two year period. The issue is what is 'reasonable'. I would suggest that the 40 days that you spent away (over two years) meets community standards for reasonable periods of leave and hence would not need to be 'made up' to satisfy the two year requirement.

Clearly you are keen to get the process started and of course you may need to consider future fee changes which occur from time to time and particularly on 1 July.

I suggest 29 June is looking good.