AITSL Assessment Unsuitable

Laoibhse

Hi,

I have just received my AITSL Assessment outcome and I have been deemed Not Suitable.

My nominated occupation was Special Needs Teacher (ANZSCO 241511). I was deemed unsuitable as "The professional criterion was not met as the application did not include at least one year full-time(or part time equivalent) of special education resulting a formal qualification. The Advanced Diploma in Special Educational Needs, Leeds Met University as a one year part time qualification could not be considered towards the assessment. AITSL can only consider formal qualifications comparable to the educational level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher that require at least one year full time study".

Is there anything I can do to achieve a positive skill assessment? I realise doing a masters or equivalent but I would then be another 2 years (between completing masters and then visa application) before arriving in Oz. I was under the (wrong!) impression that part or full time one year study was sufficient.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chouse,

Thanks for the reply. Was your nominated skill Special Needs Teacher? The PGCE is only one month more than the Advanced Diploma!!! It's almost more frustrating if I only failed because of four bloody weeks!!

Anyone know if I have any chance on appealing this decision. Or if I was to do another short education course in an Irish University (Not a clue what but hypothetically) could it all add up to be used towards this "one year full time" course?

Thanks for any advice. We are totally and utterly devastated. We spoke with two migration agencies and they both thought we had a strong chance so this ahs totally thrown us!

Hey,

Yes my assessment is for SEN teacher. Only 4 weeks? Try speak to the uni and see if they'll let you resubmit or do a top up? It's worth asking at least?

You can appeal AITSL but tbh I think you need the full PGCE or MA for it to count. I think it's level of study that's the problem not the length of time?

Idk who runs the course now but the tutors were really helpful.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Chouse,

Thanks for the quick replies! I have actually just emailed the college today to see if I could complete two more modules to add to my diploma which would (as stated on the website) be equivalent to one years full time study, two years part time. I won't give up total hope yet. I have the initial teacher training degree (B.Ed) so it is one year full time Special Ed. I need.

Thanks again for all the advice. Hopefully your visa runs smoothly!

Hey, I looked into it a bit more and asked about. I honestly think it's because it's a diploma and isn't classified as a equivalent to the Australian qualification. Top up to PGCE and you'll be fine x

• 2 months later...

Hi all, just reading your posts and I'm about to do the PGCE SENCo award as hopefully that'll qualify me for sen teacher in oz. The only problem is that it is one year part time. Does anyone know if this will automatically be discounted? Chouse, I looked at the qualification you did that got through the assessment...was it full time? If no, what did you send for them to pass you? Really anxious about doing course and it not counting...any advice would be great! :) x

Hi Ellisa31,

I can only comment on my assessment but one year part time was not deemed suitable. As stated on my results "The Advanced Diploma in Special Educational Needs, Leeds Met University as a one year part time qualification could not be considered towards the assessment. AITSL can only consider formal qualifications comparable to the educational level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher that require at least one year full time study".

I enquired about what courses I could do to ensure I passed AITSL but they were reluctant to give me any advice in that regards.

For teaching in Australia you also have to have a four year degree and 45 days certified teaching practice. This is non negotiable.

If SEN teacher isn't where your interest lies there is a definite shortage of Early Childhood Teachers. I don't know what the requirements are for that however but an option possibly if you haven't started study!

Hey, I looked into it a bit more and asked about. I honestly think it's because it's a diploma and isn't classified as a equivalent to the Australian qualification. Top up to PGCE and you'll be fine x

Chouse,

Thanks for the reply! I only spotted it now! I got on to Leeds Met and they were very helpful but explained that as I have an undergrad in primary teaching the PGCE is not the next step for me despite the fact the courses appear very similar on the website. Dammit!!! I will need to complete a masters in the next few years (or when funds allow!!).

Hope your application is going well!

Thanks for the speedy reply! I'm currently SENCo at my school so need to do the course anyway but was hoping it could be a step to Australia as well. I was just hoping, that as chouse got her skills passed doing the same course, that fingers crossed they will accept it. Looking into the difference the Leeds Met is '13 months distance learning' and doesn't state part time so I wondered if it did on the transcript? Whereas the uni I'm signed up to definitely does. Incredibly frustrating if they are the same qualification! Good luck with your application/further study x

• 2 months later...

Archived