RSMS 187 Direct Entry - Qualification/Skills Assessment Requirement Questions

Matt

I am in the process of gathering info on the requirements I need to meet to be eligible for a 187 RSMS visa through the direct entry stream pathway. I feel I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do, but would like clarification on a couple of points. Any help on here would be much appreciated!

I am currently working in Canada, in the occupation I would like to be sponsored in. My occupation does not require a skills assessment, and is only available to be nominated via the RSMS visa (not on SOL or CSOL lists)

On the DIBP's website, under the direct entry stream requirements, I see the following information;

"o if your occupation is listed on the relevant legislative instrument, and you have not obtained a necessary Australian qualification suitable to your occupation, then you must obtain a valid skills assessment prior to your application. Skills assessments obtained for a Subclass 485 visa will not be accepted as they are not considered full skills assessments for permanent skilled migration purposes. A skills assessment is only valid until the expiry date specified on the assessment, or for a period of three years from the assessment's date of issue, whichever occurs first.

o if your occupation is listed on the relevant legislative instrument, and you have obtained the necessary Australian qualification relevant to your occupation as listed in ANZSCO, then you must provide this as evidence towards meeting the skills requirement

o if your occupation is not on the relevant legislative instrument, you must demonstrate that you have the qualifications listed in ANZSCO as necessary to perform the tasks of your occupation."

Note what I underlined. My occupation is not listed on the "relevant legislative instrument" (not sure what this is exactly). To me this means that I will require a qualification listed on the ANZSCO relative to my occupation. Can someone confirm this for me?

ANZSCO says the following;

"Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.

In Australia:

AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

Registration or licensing may be required."

My understanding was that three years of relevant experience would allow me to meet the skills requirements without a qualification, as the ANZSCO page says.

In reality it doesn't matter either way to me as I don't have the three years experience anyways (7 years experience in the industry, just not all in this particular occupation), and had planned on going to college in Australia to obtain the needed qualification. I really would like to just know for peace of mind.

Secondly, do 187 visa's under the direct entry stream require a skills assessment? I found the following info on this and would like to confirm;

"The one major advantage of the 187 RSMS DE stream is that for those that are nominated into ANZSCO major 1 or 2 occupations, or a non-trade ANZSCO major group 3 occupation, you won’t need to complete a skills assessment. You still need to have either the required level of formal qualification or relevant work experience that is specified in the ‘Indicative Skill Level’ for the ANZSCO that your occupation aligns with."

My occupation doesn't require one anyways, but for example if I had a difficult time finding a sponsor and wanted to look for sponsorship in a different occupation, as long as I had the required qualification, and the occupation was in ANZSCO group 1 or 2, I could do this without a skills assessment required?

Thanks again for any help with this.

Matt

I am curious as to why you think your occupation would not require a skills assessment for a RSMS direct entry visa, it is very rare for an occupation to be exempt. Sometimes an individual might be exempt if they have a high salary however.

There is a RSMS occupation list, to get a RSMS visa, you would need to be working in an occupation on this list, are you? I am again not clear what you are saying, it would be helpful if you could just say what occupation you are thinking of.

It is all a bit moot without a sponsor lined up, have you had a good response from employers so far?

I am curious as to why you think your occupation would not require a skills assessment for a RSMS direct entry visa, it is very rare for an occupation to be exempt. Sometimes an individual might be exempt if they have a high salary however.

There is a RSMS occupation list, to get a RSMS visa, you would need to be working in an occupation on this list, are you? I am again not clear what you are saying, it would be helpful if you could just say what occupation you are thinking of.

It is all a bit moot without a sponsor lined up, have you had a good response from employers so far?

Indeed, most occupations for Direct Entry RSMS do not require skills assessment--you need only qualifications and experience that match the ANZSCO descriptions. It is only generally trade occupations that do require a positive skills assessment from the relevant body (Schedule 3 occupations on ANZSCO), and these are the occupations listed on relevant legislative instrument.

Here is a link to the relevant legislative instrument, listing the occupations that require skills assessment.

But I agree that it is moot of you do not have a sponsoring employer lined up.

I don't have anything lined up in terms of an employer, I'm simply exploring what my options will be.

I would be looking to be sponsored as a Retail Manager. There is no skills assessment authority for this occupation (I'm assuming because it isn't eligible for any other visa pathway other than RSMS)

Also I didn't think that there was a RSMS list? Isn't it any ANZSCO occupation that is between skill level 1-3?

Thanks,

Matt

I don't have anything lined up in terms of an employer, I'm simply exploring what my options will be.

I would be looking to be sponsored as a Retail Manager. There is no skills assessment authority for this occupation (I'm assuming because it isn't eligible for any other visa pathway other than RSMS)

Also I didn't think that there was a RSMS list? Isn't it any ANZSCO occupation that is between skill level 1-3?

Thanks,

Matt

An RSMS list was recently introduced, I have seen a post from one of the migration agents advising such. It may well include all the skill level 1-3 occupations, I have never looked.

So no skills assessing body then "all" you need to do is find employer. Honestly, I think there is very little chance though.

An RSMS list was recently introduced, I have seen a post from one of the migration agents advising such. It may well include all the skill level 1-3 occupations, I have never looked.

So no skills assessing body then "all" you need to do is find employer. Honestly, I think there is very little chance though.

Thanks Bungo.

I don't anticipate it to be an easy task. I won't be seeking an employer offshore, and am more than happy to move to a remote area. I'm reasonably confident I'll be able to make it happen.

I first need to meet the education requirements, which go's back to my first question :smile:

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks Bungo.

I don't anticipate it to be an easy task. I won't be seeking an employer offshore, and am more than happy to move to a remote area. I'm reasonably confident I'll be able to make it happen.

I first need to meet the education requirements, which go's back to my first question :smile:

Thanks,

Matt

Going back your first question: as I understand it, you need either a relevant qualification OR at least years' relevant experience in your nominated occupation.

Archived