Pet friendly rentals?! Help please

MrsSmithy81

Hi we moved to Illawarra, NSW at the end of March into a short term let. We're now on our second short term let as we can't secure a rental due to having our dog with us. Most properties are 'pet friendly/considered/on application' yet because she's a bigger dog we keep getting refused.

We're now stating she's an outdoor dog but still getting refused. Any advice? We've provided proof of employment for my hubby and also enough money to cover at least 2 years of rent in the bank.

I'm finding the whole process quite stressful as I've got 2 children that I can't enrol in school without a permanent address.

Thanks in advance.

Hi we moved to Illawarra, NSW at the end of March into a short term let. We're now on our second short term let as we can't secure a rental due to having our dog with us. Most properties are 'pet friendly/considered/on application' yet because she's a bigger dog we keep getting refused.

We're now stating she's an outdoor dog but still getting refused. Any advice? We've provided proof of employment for my hubby and also enough money to cover at least 2 years of rent in the bank.

I'm finding the whole process quite stressful as I've got 2 children that I can't enrol in school without a permanent address.

Thanks in advance.

Bit of a left-field question, but do you have a property in the UK you are letting out? We've found that it really, really helps getting pet-free rentals, or getting landlords to make their properties pet-friendly, if they know we are also landlords ourselves. We've also found that not stating the breed of dog and just saying "medium sized" helps - our GSD is small and fluffy, and many people assume she's a crossbreed anyway.

The usual suggestion is putting references for your pet in your 'rental pack': from the vet, previous landlords, breed club, dog walker, etc. Maybe not a photo if you are understating her size... lol

Bit of a left-field question, but do you have a property in the UK you are letting out? We've found that it really, really helps getting pet-free rentals, or getting landlords to make their properties pet-friendly, if they know we are also landlords ourselves. We've also found that not stating the breed of dog and just saying "medium sized" helps - our GSD is small and fluffy, and many people assume she's a crossbreed anyway.

The usual suggestion is putting references for your pet in your 'rental pack': from the vet, previous landlords, breed club, dog walker, etc. Maybe not a photo if you are understating her size... lol

Unfortunately we sold our property to fund our move. I can ask our short term rentals to provide a reference. Thanks for the idea. She's a lab/collie cross but might try the medium sized dog idea too. Definitely won't include a picture of her and might lend someone else's dog if they ask to see her!

Good luck! The only person I know in Illawarra lives in a rented house, and she has three or four dogs, ducks, chooks and a cat or two. She also home-boards other people's dogs. So there are definitely pet-friendly* properties out there.

:smile:

*Not "pet-free" as I said in my first post!

Hi MrsSmithy81,

Aside from the suggestions mentioned above, offering a Pet Bond and be open to a Pet Clause in the lease agreement could make your application more appealing to the landlord. This way they can be protected if your pet damages anything in the property. There is a standard Pet Clause that usually gets added to the lease agreement and agents should have this on file.

I'd dissuade you from stating that the dog is indoors or outdoors. Just because if you say your dog is an outdoor and come inspection time and there are traces of the dog indoors, you may find yourself going through the house hunting process again and this time with a bad record.

Archived