What to take ....

drstu

Hi All,

We'll finally be heading out in October.

We're likely to be going into a paid furnished rental for 6 months initially as part of the job offer, so we're not planning to ship furniture but pick bits up over the first six months.

From experience what would you suggest we should definitely take from the UK?

Thx for your time with this,

Stu

If you are not shipping furniture then just take personal effects. You'll still end up with a fair amount I'd think. By the time you pack up clothes, books, nik nacks and all the other bits you may have more than you were expecting.

If you will be starting from scratch and don't mind, you can pretty much buy everything you'll need/want here.

About the only things I would ship again would be all decent quality towels, bedding (ie good quality sheets and duvet covers plus duck down duvets as they are expensive here) and my kitchen stuff, from crockery to cutlery, kitchen mixer, baking tins, coffee mugs, pans, knives, kettle, scales, you name it, I'd ship it. Kitchen stuff because I am quite particular about what I like and use in my kitchen and would not be happy buying just any old dinner service or Ikea cutlery and it would probably take me a fair while to shop round and find things I like enough to replace with. Those sorts of things, when there are so many of them, yeah, I'd really rather not have to replace here. But others would be more than happy to do so. Depends on if its going to matter to you.

Also if your place is furnished and you have it for 6 months, you've the luxury of time to allow for it all to ship so if you like it (and can afford it), why not bring it.

A decent vacuum (Dyson) cleaner as some electricals can be significantly more expensive here.

A few tools (screwdrivers, spanners, hammer) for fixing any minor bits and pieces (having moved here, then back to the UK and then back here I now have a huge set from all the times I've had to buy new ones while waiting for my toolbox to arrive).

Also bring a few UK multi-plug boards (so you can just change the plug on the extension and don't have to put a new Australian plug on every electrical item) and a few UK-Australian adaptors for when you travel.

We didn't ship any furniture but i ended up filling 8 massive boxes with personal items and kids stuff, hubby also wanted to bring some tools, so that was another 2 boxes. It is surprising how much personal things you have when you start to empty a house or de clutter.

If your renting furnished for a while you should be ok and have time to pick bits up. We did bring some plastic plates, cutlery etc but never used them as you can buy great kitchen starter packs at places like Big w and they are pretty cheap for what they contain.

Cal x

Archived