Interstate Removalist recommendations?

WelshBen

My family and I are planning on making the move from Melbourne up to Brisbane in the next couple of months. Due to having a toddler and a young baby, hiring a van and doing the move our self isn’t really an option. Therefore has anyone made a similar move that can recommend a good removalist company plus and idea of cost? During 3.5 years in Melbourne we’ve acquired quite lot of possessions (plus 2 kids!) so would be moving the contents of a 4 bedroom house.

Also, what would people recommend doing with our car? Is it possible to get that transported up or would I be wiser driving that up myself over the space of a weekend?

Any advice would be great – thanks.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Ben, we made the move from Melbourne to Cairns a good few years back. We used Crown, there were a few problems when they started unloading the wrong container and then a lot of our items were damaged, Crown didn't want to know. I can't remember the exact price but I have around $4,000 in my head. The car was brilliant, I can't remember the name of the company we used (if you are interested I can find out) it cost us $900 and the car arrived before us. To Cairns we worked it out with fuel and accommodation costs it was cheaper to send it up, but if you are heading to Brissy you could probably do it in a day or with one overnight stop just after Sydney.

Thanks Pom Queen - those prices seem quite reasonable, although no doubt they will have risen along with everything else in the last couple of years. Still, that's less than I was expecting.

I've done a quick Google search and there's heaps of companies, although they all want contact details before providing a quote - I'd rather wait until I have dates before being hassled by them. Maybe after your experience I'll give Crown a miss!

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks Pom Queen - those prices seem quite reasonable, although no doubt they will have risen along with everything else in the last couple of years. Still, that's less than I was expecting.

I've done a quick Google search and there's heaps of companies, although they all want contact details before providing a quote - I'd rather wait until I have dates before being hassled by them. Maybe after your experience I'll give Crown a miss!

There are people who have had good experiences with Crown so don't let ours put you off. I would wait until you are ready and then get a few in to quote.

We moved with Grace removals and they were very good. I can't remember who moved the car but it went on a train and I had to drop it off in Laverton and pick it up at the port of Brisbane. The car cost about $600 to move but a lot less hassle than driving. You will also gave to get new number plates and a road worthiness test (like an MOT) which is a pain in the neck and a way fir the government to extract more money from you.

Archived