State sponsorship restrictions

Andy Roberts

Hi

I'm looking for some advice on state sponsorship. I'm currently in the UK after unfortunately returning from the Gold Coast as a building associate on a 457 which didn’t work out. We are now however in the process of returning as the same role but this time one a 190 PR state sponsored visa which is much more secure. We are keen to move back to the gold coast / Brisbane area as I have alot of guaranteed work there straight away. Is the 2 year rule to stay in Victoria rigid, as they're the only state offering this visa for my position or can you move somewhere else once you've obtained the visa.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Many thanks

Living in the sponsoring state on a 190 is not a visa condition. It's more of a gentlemen's agreement or a 'moral obligation'. You are expected to stay in the state, but there's currently nothing in law that says that you must.

Many people use this backdoor into Australia, but many states are clamping down on it from the outset. Some are insisting that you have strong family ties in the area, have minimum 80 points, or are already living in the state. I'm not sure if Victoria is one of those states, but it's worth finding out first.

Archived