Reaching ceiling number on SOL list/ new year list

geebee8

So my partner done his IELTS test and scored a 9, he has just submitted and paid for his skills assessment which i believe can take about 8 weeks.

His occupation is on the sol list as Engineer technologist under other Engineering professionals. The list is at 913 of the 1000 ceiling number. He should have 65 points without any work experience although he will lose 5 points in August due to age. We were wanting to wait until our daughter finished her college course here in July next year before going anywhere. Wanting to go to Brisbane.

Now it looks like the ceiling will be reached this year before we apply. When will the new years list start, as in 2016-2017?

When could we submit our EOI?

We also realise that next year his occupation may not even be on the list.

The ceiling resets on 1st July 2016.

You could submit your EOI now and be invited on the 9th March. You have 60 days from the date of invitation to submit the application and pay the visa charges.

If you aren't moving until next year then you have two options. You can either

A. Apply now and get the application in during this programme year, and then make a trip over to Australia to activate the visa before the last arrival date (one year from the earlier date of either the medicals or the police certificate)

The disadvantage is that you'll have the extra expense of an additional trip for all of the visa holders to Australia.

Or

B. Wait until the next programme year and time it so the last arrival date is after your intended move date.

The disadvantage of this is that the occupation may not be on the list next year (I don't think that will be the case but nothing is certain)

Yes

Also, if you submit the visa application before 1st July and the occupation gets removed, the visa will still be processed as normal.

So you could apply for the visa and then wait to be asked for police certs and medicals, which would drag it out a bit longer for you to save you making the additional trip to Aus to activate. I think that in your case the timing is key, as long as you know that you will arrive in Australia by a certain date then you can plan around that.