186 direct entry question

ItchyFeet76

Hi,

If we apply for the 186 Direct Entry route to PR offshore (from the UK), can we move to Oz and start work whilst waiting for it to come through? I would presume not as we wouldn't have any working rights, in which case my next question is, can we then apply for a 457 whilst we're waiting? Or should we just go for the 457 first and then immediately apply for the 186 so they're both in process, and once the 457 comes through (quicker than the PR one), go over and start work?

My husband's skills assessment expires end April but does that matter, provided we apply for the 186 before it expires (or does it have to be valid until PR is granted)?

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

Thas in advance for any useful comments ?

One needs us by June, the other can wait but would ideally like my oh to work remotely from the UK until we go (which we've vetoed because of the tax implications and hassle with HMRC).

I guess i really just wanted to confirm that if we just did the 186, we'd have to stay here until it comes through; and if we can apply for a 457 on day one and a 186 (direct entry) on day two...?

Yeah I guess, but then a 457 is also a commitment to you, isn't it? Anyway we don't know what to do yet as it's not where we want to be so are in a bit of a dilemma... Think we'll concentrate on trying to sell the house and see what happens![emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

457 is no commitment at all really! If it's not working out, they can fire you and you would have to go home within 90 days if you don't find another sponsor (which is becoming increasingly difficult) all it would cost them is return economy flights for you. Despite what it cost you in terms of life upheaval etc... As a result most 457 workers are constantly looking over their shoulders and put up with far more than normal workers for risk of upsetting their employers and being sent back.

Archived