VISA lodged, medicals next week , hubby going to Brisbane to check stuff out!!

Kezza37

So we have lodged our 189 visa, hubby currently working offshore in Perth so is going to take a 2nd trip to where we are heading (Brisbane )to stay with friends to check some more things out . Is he allowed to open an Australian bank account ? What other things can be organised in preparation for our move in hopefully July/ August time ? Or is it not possible until visa is granted?

He is a electrician to trade , so is also going to check out the college for his training etc

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So we have lodged our 189 visa, hubby currently working offshore in Perth so is going to take a 2nd trip to where we are heading (Brisbane )to stay with friends to check some more things out . Is he allowed to open an Australian bank account ? What other things can be organised in preparation for our move in hopefully July/ August time ? Or is it not possible until visa is granted?

He is a electrician to trade , so is also going to check out the college for his training etc

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

He's currently working offshore in Perth, Scotland? If not, and you mean onshore in Perth WA (and he hasn't currently got visa with working rights) then he could get in trouble for working. I can see your current location is Scotland - just thought i'd mention it :)

Anyway... yes you can open an Aussie bank account. He'd need to show ID though. Not sure what visa (if any) your fella is currently on. I'm thinking if he hasn't got a non-visitor visa he may not be able to do it. Opening a bank account is quick enough once you get over here anyway. I'd recommend opening an account with a bank that does cardless cash (e.g. Commonwealth Bank, I think Westpac too?). That way you don't have to wait a week or two for your cards to be delivered before you can take money out. NAB do free banking, no cardless cash though.

You need to be onshore to get a Medicare card, or get Family Tax Benefit.

What other things did you want to organise before arriving?

Edited by itegoa

He's currently working offshore in Perth, Scotland? If not, and you mean onshore in Perth WA (and he hasn't currently got visa with working rights) then he could get in trouble for working. I can see your current location is Scotland - just thought i'd mention it :)

Anyway... yes you can open an Aussie bank account. He'd need to show ID though. Not sure what visa (if any) your fella is currently on. I'm thinking if he hasn't got a non-visitor visa he may not be able to do it. Opening a bank account is quick enough once you get over here anyway. I'd recommend opening an account with a bank that does cardless cash (e.g. Commonwealth Bank, I think Westpac too?). That way you don't have to wait a week or two for your cards to be delivered before you can take money out. NAB do free banking, no cardless cash though.

You need to be onshore to get a Medicare card, or get Family Tax Benefit.

What other things did you want to organise before arriving?

Thanks for the info. Hubby working in Perth WA and has all the relevant visas and paperwork in place for being there. Probably won't be able to do very much when he gets to Brisbane but he can check out areas for living

Hi, we are from Fife as well, Dunfermline. Any reason apart from friends you picked Brisbane, we looked there to start with but ended up in Melbourne and now Perth

Hello there, funnily enough that's where we are too!! (Dunfermline)

We picked Brisbane as we felt as a family we would be more suited to this City , also As my hubby is a sparky His friend is quite high up in an electrical company so the advice from him would be useful. Our friends kids are also pretty much the same age and they have met and got on well so we felt that might help our kids a bit with the move !!

It was between Perth and Brisbane though as I have a good friend in Perth .

How about you? How long you been in Oz? How come you moved from Melbourne to Perth ?