Working holiday to partner visa

Bex Pearle

Hi,

I came to Australia April last year. Did a bit of travelling, completed my farming and then moved back to Sydney and got a job in a call centre. In October I met a girl and fell in love. We both want the same things and I've never met anyone like her.

She has met my brother here and is great with his kids (he's been here years) and I have met her family.

We have opened a joint bank account and are going to register our relationship this week to meet the requirements of the partner visa. We will move in together in early April (would do it now except I have a lease). While we are doing things fast we also know it's what we want long term.

We will apply next March, a month before my visa expires. We have tons of photos already but I've heard photos together are not really seen as evidence. We will be able to have family statements about us and photos of us with each other's families.

Any experience to share?

You need to read the partner visa booklet and go from the checklist in there as to what evidence you must provide.

Phots are not evidence. They are pretty pointless tbh. If you do submit some, only submit a few.

Things that are good

registering your relationship (if in a state that allows this)

names on a lease together

joint or your own bank accounts at the same address

bills to one or both of you at the same address

drivers licence, same address

being named in each other's wills or life insurance

being on each other's car insurance policy

salary slips to the same address

being able to show your finances between your accounts

That sort of stuff is what you need to be compiling.

You will be required to write your own supporting statement each and have at least 2 stat decs from Aus citizens who know you both and can vouch for your being a couple etc. This is far more important than having photos with them.

Guest Guest115110

In the case of a partner visa both the sponsor and the applicant must meet certain requirements.

by Law:

a person is in a de facto relationship with another person if they are not in a married relationship with each other but:

(a) they have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others; and

(b) the relationship between them is genuine and continuing; and

© they:

(i) live together; or

(ii) do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis; and

(d) they are not related by family .

the DIBP considers all of the circumstances of the relationship, including

(a) the financial aspects of the relationship, including:

(i) any joint ownership of real estate or other major assets; and

(ii) any joint liabilities; and

(iii) the extent of any pooling of financial resources, especially in relation to major financial commitments; and

(iv) whether one person in the relationship owes any legal obligation in respect of the other; and

(v) the basis of any sharing of day-to-day household expenses; and

(b) the nature of the household, including:

(i) any joint responsibility for the care and support of children and

(ii) the living arrangements of the persons; and

(iii) any sharing of the responsibility for housework; and

© the social aspects of the relationship, including:

(i) whether the persons represent themselves to other people as being in a de facto relationship with each other; and

(ii) the opinion of the persons’ friends and acquaintances about the nature of the relationship; and

(iii) any basis on which the persons plan and undertake joint social activities; and

(d) the nature of the persons’ commitment to each other, including:

(i) the duration of the relationship; and

(ii) the length of time during which the persons have lived together; and

(iii) the degree of companionship and emotional support that the persons draw from each other; and

(iv) whether the persons see the relationship as a long-term one.

The application for a partner visa is pretty straightforward. If you are in a state where you can register the relationship then you don't need the 12 month de facto so that makes it a lot easier.

Just ensure you download and read the partner migration booklet and follow all the on shore partner visa steps. Application forms, stat decs, supporting statements, supporting evidence. Also passports, birth certs and anything else required. Medical and police checks will follow later.

Its an expensive visa so if you are comfortable with it all and don't have any serious medical issues or police record to worry about I'd consider applying yourself and saving a bit of money. If you are really worried or have a difficult application, then of course spend the money on an agent. Most tend to apply on their own without issue if the application is straightforward.

Archived