Arborist

sdunsy

Hi my husband is a qualified Arborist and we are hoping to either apply for our 457 next year or finding a sponsor would be amazing, just wondering if anyone has any advice on where the best place to look for sponsorship opportunities would be or is it best to send out speculative emails with cv enquiring about the possibility. Thanks in advance

If you qualify for skilled independent migration then you absolutely do not want to go down the sponsored route - rather than being amazing it turns into a nightmare for many people.

It can work for some, it did for us and if you do qualify for skilled migration if can be a way to get out there quicker and get flights and relocation costs paid for but it is a risk being in Australia on a temporary visa.

The nightmare scenario could be that before your permanent visa is granted the SOL changes and you can no longer appy, then for whatever reason your husband loses his job and you are left with no option but to return.

Or he doesn't lose his job but at the end of the four years you have no route for a permanent visa and you have to return anyway.

For most people a PR visa is far better.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question! Finding a sponsor is very difficult - you can look a Seek.com.au but you'd be lucky to find someone willing to recruit from overseas.

• 1 month later...

My neighbour is an arborist, we've had him round for a bit of work.

Seems like he gets most of his work via the council, I think they release work requests every 2 weeks and he just does whatever they ask for, ranges from 2-6 days a week work, he fits in private jobs between those.

He's got all the big boys toys (bobcats, cherry pickers etc), so unless you're planning to work for someone, you'll need to find all that equipment, it's a bit too big to fit in the suitcase ;)

Archived