Northern Irish Guy heading to Perth in November, needing advice!

Geordie

Hi,

So i will be leaving in the last week of November for Perth on a WHV, i just need some genderal adivce on a couple of things:-

How much money do i need? - I already have 2500gbp

is it relatively easy finding a job? - Unfortunately i dont have a degree but i have experience in my current job as of 5 years

Is it easy enough buying a car on a UK driving license?

Making friends? - Generally i will be staying in hostel and it should be easy enough but be quite quiet i would think it would be quite difficult.

I know these may sound like stupid questions but I don't know anyone else who has done this before so apologises in advance :D

Thanks,

Geordie

How much money do i need?

Depends on what you are planning to do? $5k would get you a knackered car and a slab of beer.

is it relatively easy finding a job?

Depends on the job, seems to be easy to get shop sales/coffee shop/bar work from the people i know. Civil Engineering, not so easy.

Is it easy enough buying a car on a UK driving license?

Yes - no difference at all.

Making friends?

Are you social? Do you like joining in, or do you prefer to complain that it's "not like home"? That'll make the biggest difference.

That doesnt so so bad, i just thought it would be a pain in the arse!

I'm not worried about what kind of work to be fair, just enough to move around every 2 or so months.

Fantastic

I am indeed, as the old saying goes here "There's no point in complaing, because no one will listen!"

Cheers for the advice Bibbs, every little helps!

What sort of work do you do? I met loads of Irish guys down south WA, they were all working on farms. Hostels are fine if you're outgoing, I struggle a bit because I'm not always the best at starting conversations but I'm improving a lot. If you like your own space etc they aren't so good! I came with around £3000-3500 if I remember correctly. It's easy for it to go quickly, my problem is I went eating out a lot my first 3 weeks because I couldn't be bothered cooking. If I hadn't then I'd have saved quite a bit

I am a systems administrator/stock controller for a logisitics company, ive heard that a lot of irish people head to WA. I'm not to introvert, so having my own space isn't much of an issue. I can be the same at times lol.

i just want to have enough so that i dont have to worry about money until i can find myself a job. I'll keep that in mind, i think the height of me going out to eating would be McDonalds lol :ssign7:

Yeah there's Irish everywhere lol I'm starting to wonder if there's any left in Ireland. We had a few Scottish people down there too and I've heard quite a lot since I've been in Perth. You could register with some admin agencies etc if that's what you fancy doing, haven't a clue wether there's many jobs in it.

If McDonald's is the height then you'll probably be fine lol. I panicked too much when I first got here when really my money would have paid for me to go up east Coast for 6 weeks but I didn't want to finish and then have no money. I'm sure you'll be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived