Working for a UK company and living in Australia as a permanent resident

martyfenwick

I've read some other forum posts on this subject, but the circumstances differ to mine.

I am still waiting on my PR visa, however there is the possibility I could work remotely (at home in WA) for a UK company (not my current employer)

what I'm hoping someone can confirm for me is :

Should I be paid into a AUD account in AUD for tax reasons?

Does it cost my employer extra to pay in AUD?

Do I pay UK tax or Australian income tax? I don't want to be in the position where I'm paying double tax.

I've read some other forum posts on this subject, but the circumstances differ to mine.

I am still waiting on my PR visa, however there is the possibility I could work remotely (at home in WA) for a UK company (not my current employer)

what I'm hoping someone can confirm for me is :

Should I be paid into a AUD account in AUD for tax reasons?

Does it cost my employer extra to pay in AUD?

Do I pay UK tax or Australian income tax? I don't want to be in the position where I'm paying double tax.

I have done this and I was paid in pounds into a UK bank account. I lost a little in transfer costs but the exchange rate was so good at the time that it was very beneficial for me.

You will only be liable for Australian tax, as you are not resident for tax purposes in the UK.

Keep UK bank account, invoice and get paid in UK pounds and then find a good money transfer company and transfer it over each month. Hubby did this for a fair while with ease, good rate, no fees as transferring over X amount thousands of $$. HiFX is who we use. IIRC you declare yourself non resident in the UK etc for tax purposes and do your taxes here. Get a decent accountant as its far easier to spend a few hundred $$ once a year to get them to go over it all and to know exactly what you owe.

Make sure you set some aside each month for when the tax bill does come round to pay.