190 Skill Nominated Questions

Archi Stu

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have found it a really great resource over the past couple of weeks while research my visa options, I now have a couple of questions hopefully someone can shed some light on.

To give a bit of background, I'm hoping to begin the visa process asap and intend to move late 2016 / early 2017. My girlfriend is Aussie and has been here a few years. I'm 30, so nearing the end of any potential chance for a working holiday. From what I have read and understand, I should get all the various tests / assessments (health / police / IELTS / VETASSESS) done straight away to get the best score I can on skill select (targeting 65-70), the min. requirement appears to be 60. I've read a few different things regarding noting my girlfriend as Aussie, some say this will help, others say with this visa its only useful if her skills are listed (unfortunately not despite being pretty ace!).

As far as I can see I don't need a job offer as part of the application - I'm looking at nominating myself as an architectural draftsperson (classes 312111, 312112 or 312199 matches my chartership definition). From reading different threads it sounds as though although I may be sponsored by one state and they require 2 years work within their state (which is fine - just looking at options) you are not legally required to remain there. Finally, although it seems pretty clear that if I'm nominating myself in a particular skill set I need to work within that - does this stop me finding causal work as we may do some travelling around before we get proper jobs as the money would be useful and its a good way of meeting people - but obviously I don't want to wreck the visa!

I've looked at the spousal visa and although I'm confident we meet the criteria, its significantly more expensive with far longer processing times, as we would like to get on with things and have a little pocket money, fingers crossed for the 190!

So my main questions are:

1. Can I find casual work whilst doing a bit of travelling as soon as I arrive under the 190?

2. Will noting my partner on the my application somewhere assist my visa?

3. How strict is the requirement to work the 2 years in the nominated state? If you move to another state must you provide proof you are unable to fine work or will you be kicked out?

Thanks for your help!

Archived