Hospital Scientist Jobs Melbourne

rayrachel

Hi

Myself and my OH are planning on moving back home to oz at end of February. I was excited to be recently offered a job I applied for in Melbourne as a hospital scientist in a private lab. I have been working in this profession for 15 years in NHS labs in the UK and 5 years before I left Oz.

Does anyone have any experience with salary and position levels available in this field? Does it vary between the private and public sector? I ask this as over the last 6 months looking most jobs are advertised at level 1 but then ask for lots of experience. My skills would reflect a level 3.

The job I have been offered has asked for experience but the salary I have been offered is only entry level for a scientist. This offer is below the average wage and is less than I earned when I left the country 15 years ago. They also want me to start in 3 weeks time so it would be a stressful move.

My dilemma is should I just be grateful to have any job and go or should I wait as this is the 1st job I applied for?

My OH spouse visa won't come till about April so in no rush to go till feb/March. My family says I should take it as will be get my feet in the door but I would like to think with 20 years of experience working in some of the top cancer hospitals in the UK my skills should do the talking.

I just worry taking a massive step down at this stage in my career would affect me getting a more senior role in Australia as I have worked really hard in my time in the UK to build up my skills

Any thoughts or advice most appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife is a research technician/technical officer she has worked for the Uni in Cambridge and for the Victorian Government, we've moved back and forwards 3 times now and each time we've returned to Melbourne her starting pay has been less than her pay when we left, as far as private Vs public pay goes I'd say the lowest pay would be in some kind of industrial lab, then Government, and the Uni, Walter and Eliza, Murdoch and the like would probably be the best pay and conditions, as far as I know there is not a massive amount of science vacancies in Melbourne, so you might be better sticking with what you have and then looking around once you've settled.

Archived