Need help and guidance RE: Moving back to the UK with our sweetheart cat

Brummy

Hi,

Has anybody gone back to the UK and taken their cat(s) with them?

Our Kitty is spayed and micro-chipped. Does anybody know if the Australian microchips are acceptable and whether they'd be readable using the UK scanners?

Am I right in saying that our cat wouldn't have to be quarantined upon arrival?

Which pet agency did you use? And what was included?

Appreciate any help and advice on this!

• 4 weeks later...

To start with you will need to use a pet shipping company based in Australia, we can recommend contacting Dogtainers. They have bases situated all over Australia. They will be able to give you the guidance you require to prepare your cat to enter the UK.

Should you require any assistance for the clearance procedure / delivery when your cat arrives in the UK then please feel free to contact us enquiries@petairuk.com

Australian microchips are readable - you would have to advise of the change of address and you are advising an Australian register of a UK address which is fine, we were told they do get contacted by the UK sometimes.

You would also be best though to register the chip on UK databases such as Petlog and Anibase - I must admit we haven't yet so I don't know if there is a cost involved.

We used a local company in Perth who I would recommend if you happen to be in WA - used bigger crates as standard and were cheaper than the national companies.

So long as they have the right paperwork/rabies jags etc. then no quarantine. We had a heart stopping few hours as paperwork went missing in transit - Malaysian airlines were blamed but it turned up months later and the animal reception centre at Heathrow (who had told us she arrived without it!) had given it to someone else with their dogs paperwork!! Bizarrely they were returning to Australia, got their own paperwork out and found hours and called me.

Our Aussie cat has settled perfectly into life in Scotland. sleeps on our sons bed as she always did and has even coped with snow :)

Archived