How expensive is making the move

Sam Summers

Well you sound to be young enough to give it a go regardless of the outcome. As you say you can do any sort of work if need be and plumbing does pretty well from what I hear at the moment.

With regards to your Thai wife, she should certainly find Australia more conducive than the Midlands in many respects. Besides the weather, there is a far greater Thai community than in UK. Many more eating places, in fact a new stylish Thai just opened minutes from me in Perth two weeks ago.

Thailand is a very popular tourist destination from Australia, especially Phuket, so there is more awareness of that country and cuisine generally as well. I suspect there must be a number of Thai women married to Farang living in Brisbane so perhaps there are some social get togethers over there? No idea but should be found online. It seems to work in Perth, as a former work colleague was married to an Indonesian, and they within that community had quite a social club going.

Housing construction will likely decline which will likely take some of the gloss of tradies high earnings and demand but you are likely aware of all possible pitfalls. Even working as a Handyman, noting plumbing skills etc, on one of the online sights or local community newspaper or even in your local super market which may like mine, have a board outside, where many with various trade skills advertise could get you through perhaps the first half year or so until more organised.

Ah that's good to know , I just told the wife about there being a decent thai community over there and she's made up , I am not worried as much over the work side of things as I enjoy work and being a tradesman for 20 or so years since leaving school there isn't much I haven't done , and can turn my hand to most things ,I pick things up pretty quick , so it is mainly just the finances in order and being a bit nervous about the big move more than anything, but I know (if we get accepted ) once we're there it will be amazing. Just got to get my head down now and start putting plans in motion ?

Archived