Moving To SA

Guest markdempsey

Guest markdempsey

Ive just been accepted to go to S.A? Ive never been before but would like to live somewhere that is fairly safe, not too expensive and good for my 2 young children (1 and 3).

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Im going next Feb.

Mark:policeman:

Guest been there before

Hi there,I'm living in the UK at the mo but am from S.A.I don't obviously know all area's but I do know area's north east of the city like Tea Tree Gully,Highbury,Athelstone (huge greek/italian community!!)Modbury,(all area's of Modbury nth,heights etc)and ok its suburban but acceptable.You have Tea Tree Plaza which is a huge shopping complex,Tea Tree Gully Swimming Pool (spent many hours there as a teenager,its a big outside pool/rec centre)there's the library,various primary/high schools,and is pretty safe although no where these days is 100% safe is it?You also have Modbury Hospital (my daughters were born there,fab service!!)and the Obahn bus service,which leaves from Tea Tree Plaza (its buses are on a kind of railway track)and within 30 minutes you in in the city!!($2.10 one way but if you return within 2 hours you can re use your ticket and come back free!!!)I grew up in that area before moving in to the "sticks"when I got married and its a good area with alot of facilities,especially good with young children!!!Good luck and may see you back there as I am planning to return to S.A (back to the sticks)in the near future xx

Guest Guest9973

The Adelaide Metro area is now a huge sprawl with many new suburbs popping up.

Work will probably dictate where you will live to a certain degree.

I live in the south in Onkaparinga Hills which is around 35 - 40 mins into the CBD depending on traffic.

I don't know much about the north so can't comment much but there are some lovely places there and we have a few friends up Athelstone and Salisbury Heights way.

So I'm not starting a North/South debate!

Down south here there are plenty of areas that are still affordable but around 30 - 50 mins from the city.

To name but a few (and look at surrounding suburbs).......... Hallett Cove,Happy Valley,Woodcroft,Port Noarlunga South,Seaford and Aldinga.

These are all popular areas with UK migrants.

Research is the key and then try and narrow down to North / South and then to just a few suburbs.

Once here you have to do a lot of driving around to make the final decision on what's right for you.

I think Adelaide has a bit of something for nearly everyone - just takes some finding at times.:smile::smile:

• 2 weeks later...

If I assume from your sign-off that you're hoping to be working for SAPOL, try to find out where you are likely to be posted. I'd highly recommend starting your research with suburbs that aren't too far a drive from your main place of work - don't worry - even if you were posted to the 'roughest' possible area, you could find a lovely suburb easily within about a 20-30 minute drive. There's loads of choice!

Have a browse through Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au, use Google Earth, and ask away about any suburbs that catch your fancy!

Diane

Guest beermeister

I haven't lived in SA for about 18 years so can't really tell you the best places....but then maybe I could tell you that Whyalla and Port Augusta were pretty awful back then and might still be - they're about 4 hours north of Adelaide but I suppose you didn't mean that far out in SA?

Guest harrison family

Hi,

My sister recently emmigrated to Adelaide with 3 youngsters and they had never been there before they have settled really well in to life in Seaview Downs, she is really happy there good school, plenty of things to do with the kids.

Good luck.

Harrison Family

Guest mandisfam
The Adelaide Metro area is now a huge sprawl with many new suburbs popping up.

Work will probably dictate where you will live to a certain degree.

I live in the south in Onkaparinga Hills which is around 35 - 40 mins into the CBD depending on traffic.

I don't know much about the north so can't comment much but there are some lovely places there and we have a few friends up Athelstone and Salisbury Heights way.

So I'm not starting a North/South debate!

Down south here there are plenty of areas that are still affordable but around 30 - 50 mins from the city.

To name but a few (and look at surrounding suburbs).......... Hallett Cove,Happy Valley,Woodcroft,Port Noarlunga South,Seaford and Aldinga.

These are all popular areas with UK migrants.

Research is the key and then try and narrow down to North / South and then to just a few suburbs.

Once here you have to do a lot of driving around to make the final decision on what's right for you.

I think Adelaide has a bit of something for nearly everyone - just takes some finding at times.:smile::smile:

Hi, Do you know of any good websites that tell you more about the suburbs of Adelaide, especially ones with maps and photos.

Thanks, Mandisfam

Guest Guest9973
Hi, Do you know of any good websites that tell you more about the suburbs of Adelaide, especially ones with maps and photos.

Thanks, Mandisfam

Not really I'm afraid.

There have been some individual attempts in the past but the puttered out.

Perhaps Diane who posts her knows of one??

She does know most stuff:notworthy:

Guest Brickie

Thanks, Mandisfam

Download Google Earth, just make sure you click Picasa on the left menu of Google earth when you run it, it will give you photos of most of the places you want..:cool:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.92577,138.59973&spn=0.010855,0.018797&z=16&lci=lmc:panoramio&output=embed&s=AARTsJoL7azPfNYu54QPsNC_r8uRJsZThw"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.92577,138.59973&spn=0.010855,0.018797&z=16&lci=lmc:panoramio&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Link to Adelaide....

Maybe the Admins of the forum can allow google links to be added?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

We are hoping to move to South Australai early next year, however I am finding it hard finding the right info. Can anybody recommend an area/ areas for me to research that would be within 1 hrs of the city, preferably a tourist town village, with shops etc, with horse riding nearby and also an area where my hubby could mountain bike.

Guest TraceyB68

I'm also looking at Adelaide with my hubby and two boys (6 and 4) OH is a bricklayer and I was wondering if anyone could tell me any areas where there is residential building going on. Ideally we would like to be close to the beach don't mind if it's 30 mins in a car, any suggestions anyone ???

Thanks Tracey x

Archived