Problems with Qld-based international shipping company/removalists

Tavigal

Hi, we are having problems with an Ipswich/Banyo-based removals company in Qld. We have paid them $13,000 for a 40ft sole use container (household goods plus a car and 2 motorbikes). Our agreement has always been for a sole use container, however now they want to change the gameplay on us and tell us that our container will be shared- this is after they now have our household goods at their storage facility. Also, on the day of the uplift they only sent 2 people to pack/load, no permanent markers to write on items they bubble wrapped, not enough numbering labels, they ran out of time and my husband and I ended up running around like headless chooks lifting boxes and calling out labelling numbers and sticking them on boxes for them (which has hurt my husband's back).

They have mixed up paperwork, 'forgot' to correctly note on the paperwork that our items would be insured whilst they stored them for 2 months at their facility (I had to point out the error/we've paid $3k for insurance). My husband couldn't find his glasses and the lead Removalist on the day of uplift, instructed him to sign in the 'goods delivered' section rather than the goods uplifted section (they have still not bothered to contact us to correct this with new paperwork, despite promising this).On top of this, the lead Removalist, whilst packing up items at our house, had offensive lyrics music playing (swear words). He also insisted that the 5 additional items we had put aside as 'optional' could be fitted into the container easily and he advised it was ok to load them, yet this has led to the shipping company now demanding more money from us (even though everything actually fits into the container). My goodness we feel stressed out. Does anyone know of a consumer protection agency/ombudsman who may be able to help us pull them into line? Thanks :)

Archived