Children out in Aus

Lorraine Colley

Hi guys, I have a son out in Melbourne ( 3years in Jan). He has just got his residency. My daughter and grandchildren are moving out to Darwin in November. The son in law is joining the Austalin Army. I'm aware that because both my children will be residing out there that I'm likely to be allowed a visa but I would like to know when the best time to apply would be and could I do it this year because my daughter becomes a citizen straight away. I don't really want to go down the sponsor route if poss.

Hi guys, I have a son out in Melbourne ( 3years in Jan). He has just got his residency. My daughter and grandchildren are moving out to Darwin in November. The son in law is joining the Austalin Army. I'm aware that because both my children will be residing out there that I'm likely to be allowed a visa but I would like to know when the best time to apply would be and could I do it this year because my daughter becomes a citizen straight away. I don't really want to go down the sponsor route if poss.

Hi Lorraine, what exciting times. There are a number of options for parents to emigrate to Aus if they have children there that are Permanent Residents (don't have to be citizens, but just have a Permanent Residency visa). The trouble is there are a few varying visas available to people in your position, and some are more attractive than others but they cost a lot more. There are also a number of criteria that you would need to satisfy before you could consider applying for any of them. There are far too many criteria to list all here for parent based visas, but a few of them are things like;

- Do you satisfy the balance of family test.

- Do you satisfy the visa health requirements.

- Do you have funds to cover the costs of the visa application charge, and in the case of some visas the much larger 2nd visa application charge (circa $40,000 AUD in the case of some visa).

- Do you you have a sponsor who has been a permanent resident and considered 'settled' in Aus for 2 years or more, that can sponsor your application and put up the Assurance of Support (circa $7,000 AUD). Usually your sponsor would be your child, but strictly speaking that doesn't have to be the case - It's just the norm.

I would think that you may want to enlist the advice/help of a migration agent, but that's your choice. There are plenty of agents that regularly contribute on POI and also lots of posters who will be able to make recommendations for agents they've used.

I would suggest that as a research piece or a starter for ten, that you take a look at the DIBP website for visa applicable to parents wishing to migrate. It will detail the visa options available and the associated requirements and checklists. You should be able to get at it here; http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Pare

I think it might be worth your while posting in the dedicated thread that has been running for many years for parents in your position. It has a wealth of knowledgeable people that are going through, or have gone though what you are thinking about. You can get to that thread here; http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread-877.html

This really doesn't even scratch the surface, but hopefully gives you some direction.

All the very best of luck.

Archived