Shipping and Packing

JEM44

Hi all,

I am just starting to look at our shipping options, we have just moved into a rented house in the UK ready for our move next year. I am looking at shipping pretty much all we own (about 6 weeks before we fly) so that by the time we have had a 4 week holiday rental in Perth and secured a rental property our stuff should have arrived. Hoping that timeline seems correct. Let me know if I have it wrong!

My question is, when we moved into our house here I packed everything and the removal men came and took our boxes into the van. However, I am sure I have read on other posts that the shippers have to pack the house contents so that they know what is being shipped. Is that correct or I am missing something. What I am anticipating now is that they will come and pack all my stuff, crockery, clothes etc. Or is it just the same as when we move here in the UK, in that the shippers will come and quote on the house and then I will pack and they will just load the van.

Thanks

hi! Packing services are usually optional, however, for international moves packing services are used most of the time and are highly recommended for several reasons including...

1) the journey can be a lot rougher than for a UK move by road... ships move in lots of different ways so the level of packing / wrapping used can be different to provide added protection! International packers are specially trained and experienced in what's required to give the required level of protection. That goes for the kind of materials used too (often people moving within the UK use less sturdy cartons which aren't suitable for international moves).

2) some insurers will only offer total loss cover on owner packed boxes and not damage to individual items, as they are not aware of the condition before packing

3) You need to be very clear on what you can and can't ship, if you're packing your own boxes make sure to brush up on restricted/prohibited items. International packers will be well trained and experienced in this and can highlight to you anything you've asked them to pack which is not allowed or that they would advise against.

Hope that helps?

Archived