Job prospects for over 50s

Nigelsmith

Have you checked you can pass the points test first of all, it is quite hard after the age of 45 although still possible with maximum points for work experience and perhaps a state sponsorship.

Job market for accountants is very tough, utterly saturated and hundreds of applicants for every job. Unless you are CFO level, I think you might struggle as it is quite ageist. Being perfectly honest, if you have secure employment in the UK, I would think very hard about this.

I just saw on another thread that you are considering a 190 visa.

Are you close to approaching 50? I only ask because the 190 is not available to people that have already turned 50 on the day that they apply and pay for the visa and there is lot to do before you get to that stage.

I can apply and attain 60 points for a valid application. My only concern would be getting tied down to the state for 2 years, unless anyone knows otherwise.

The state nomination will not tie you down. There's a moral obligation to remain in the nominated state, but nothing to stop you moving elsewhere.

Thanks, Captain

Do you know anyone who has done this?

There's plenty of people on this forum that have done it.

It's certainly not the 'right' thing to do and is not recommended. But, there's nothing to physically stop you doing it, the state have no power to remove your visa once it's granted, and there's no legal power to keep you in the state.

The only way that you could face any issues post visa grant is if you break any conditions of your visa, but living in the state is not counted as a visa condition.

There's plenty of people on this forum that have done it.

It's certainly not the 'right' thing to do and is not recommended. But, there's nothing to physically stop you doing it, the state have no power to remove your visa once it's granted, and there's no legal power to keep you in the state.

The only way that you could face any issues post visa grant is if you break any conditions of your visa, but living in the state is not counted as a visa condition.

Thanks Captain C

what other conditions woud be attached to the visa?

Have you checked you can pass the points test first of all, it is quite hard after the age of 45 although still possible with maximum points for work experience and perhaps a state sponsorship.

Job market for accountants is very tough, utterly saturated and hundreds of applicants for every job. Unless you are CFO level, I think you might struggle as it is quite ageist. Being perfectly honest, if you have secure employment in the UK, I would think very hard about this.

Thanks Bungo for the informative response.

Still in 2 heads about the migration decision!!

Archived