Pension transfer Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes

CaptainR

I see that all of the pension schemes on Australia except for the Local Government Super have been removed from the list or recognised schemes, I'm considering setting up a super with that scheme (they allow non-government employees) to see if I can take advantage of the good exchange rates and do a transfer.

Anyone any experience with the transfer process?

Hi, new to this super annuation and just wondered how best to find out the ins n outs as I am looking txr a full military pension but would value the advice of a reputable financial advisor that an expat has successfully dealt with, I fly out on Tuesday and any advice for FSA in Sydney would be ideal. Also how this works against UK pension when I become eligible....lots of good threads but all in thousands of different individual directions. Any advice is gratefully received. Thank you.

I see that all of the pension schemes on Australia except for the Local Government Super have been removed from the list or recognised schemes, I'm considering setting up a super with that scheme (they allow non-government employees) to see if I can take advantage of the good exchange rates and do a transfer.

Anyone any experience with the transfer process?

Hi

From my research my understanding is that the actual LGPS on the ROPS list is not a public offer fund ie it is only open to local QLD government workers and their spouses.

There is a NSW LGPS and they are not public offer however are not QROPS.

What type of pension do you have and how old are you if you don't mind me asking (these are relevant questions)?

Hi, new to this super annuation and just wondered how best to find out the ins n outs as I am looking txr a full military pension but would value the advice of a reputable financial advisor that an expat has successfully dealt with, I fly out on Tuesday and any advice for FSA in Sydney would be ideal. Also how this works against UK pension when I become eligible....lots of good threads but all in thousands of different individual directions. Any advice is gratefully received. Thank you.

Hi Branksies

Unfortunately from April 6 this year unfunded government defined benefit pension schemes can no longer be transferred out, this was introduced on the back of the new pensions freedoms that came into play as of the same date.

There actually has been a loophole that has allowed these type of schemes to continue to be transferred to QROPS schemes which are not occupational pension schemes and which have their main administration in a state in the European Economic Area: http://www.international-adviser.com/news/1024402/government-shuts-qrops-public-sector-transfer-loophole?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=Government%20shuts%20QROPS%20public%20sector%20transfer%20loophole&utm_campaign=international_adviser_newsletter_5_18_08_2015

However this was unintended and it being closed down imminently.

Archived