CARPENTERS moving to Oz (no qualifications)

njchamp

Hi ,are there any Carpenters on here that have no actual qualifications as such ,my husband was taught by a established carpenter over ten years ago and has been doing carpentry ever since but has no recognised qualifications ,I am aware that you can get your skills assessed but wondered if anyone on here has or knows of someone who has done this and knows what kind of information they will want if you don't have school/college grades to begin with ,the site is quite vague about what they need ?I have posted something similar so forgive me if it seems like I'm repeating myself it's just it would be nice to talk to someone in the same position , thank you .

Hi ,are there any Carpenters on here that have no actual qualifications as such ,my husband was taught by a established carpenter over ten years ago and has been doing carpentry ever since but has no recognised qualifications ,I am aware that you can get your skills assessed but wondered if anyone on here has or knows of someone who has done this and knows what kind of information they will want if you don't have school/college grades to begin with ,the site is quite vague about what they need ?I have posted something similar so forgive me if it seems like I'm repeating myself it's just it would be nice to talk to someone in the same position , thank you .

Hi njchamp,

My hubby is a plumber / carpenter, fortunately he has a qualification for his plumbing and that's on the SOL too. Having just completed stage 1 of his skills assessment through vetassess I can tell you that qualifications are only a small part of the evidence needed, I had to provide a lot of other evidence and over and above the norm due to the majority of his working life as a plumber being spent self employed, I am thinking that without qualifications you will just have to do the same in order to prove your hubbys skills. With plumbing at least, from what I have read, my hubby will have to do a lot of retraining when we get to Oz, perhaps similar with carpenters I don't know, perhaps that is a consideration when they are assessing, hopefully there isn't too much weight put on official qualifications, with something like carpentry work experience is surely more valuable.

I'm not sure whether Vetassess are the assessing body for carpenters, but whoever it is, just contact them and see what they say, I'm sure you're not the first with this problem, if it is Vetassess I found them very quick and helpful responding to my email queries.

I really hope there is a way for you to proceed, good luck!!

Archived