All round advise

Leeds0915

I would like people to share their advise if they have been in a similar situation.

me and my partner are seriously considering the move to Melbourne. We are not married but have lived together for a few years. My partners brother lives in Melbourne and has done for some time. My partner is quantity surveyor which is on the skilled job list, I work in sales.

based on the above which visa should we apply for? Are we more attractive to employers if the visa is already in place?

We would only move if my partner was offered a job.

how long would you need to rent before you can apply for a mortgage?

we would also be bringing our medium size dog. What was people's experiences doing this? Did it affect your pet? Roughly how much does it cost?

many thanks

Hi Leeds

I can't help on all your questions (never tried to bring a dog), but I am sure others can help with this.

You are definitely more attractive to a broader range of employers if you already have a visa in place as it removes some hassle and potential cost for them. That said, some employers will clearly look to sponsor you (on a 457 visa) which is a temporary visa for up to 4 years. It can be extended or the employer can sponsor you (I think after 2 years) for a permanent visa.

457's are useful where you secure a job before you move over and this helps get you a visa in place.

I would seriously consider a 189 and a 190 visa. They are both permanent resident visa's, however the 190 is a state sponsored visa and you gain an extra 5 points in the EOI process for state sponsored. The important thing is you can submit two Expression of Intersts (EOI's) (for both visa's) and respond to the first that comes up.

my personal preference is the 189 as this gives you maximum flexibility (you can move to any state you wish), whilst the 190 requires you to spend 2 years in your nominated state. There are also more 189 visa allocations each year than 190. But again, you can submit an EOI for both.

189 visa have monthly invitation rounds, with the next round being Sept 6th. If you get an invite, you have 2 months to submit your VISA application.

This brings me to an important point - make sure you get all your positive skills assessments done BEFORE you submit your EOI. This is because the documents you submit to support your EOI, must be dated BEFORE your EOI submission date - otherwise you could well have your visa (and fee) voided. It sounds complex, but really it is simple - If you are not familiar with the 189 visa requirements, I can explain, but also look on the http://www.dibp.gov.au web site for 189 document checklist. I helps explain.

Key is, get a positive skills assessment from the relevant skills assessing body (web site tells you who to use) BEFORE submitting an EOI.

190 have no fixed date for invitations...

Do you know how many points you and your partner would have ??

With 80 points, go for a 189.

But just make sure you understand that, you needs to take an English language test to claim 20 points for English (you can;t just rely on a british passport).

I only say this in case you are un-aware.

Go for he 189 and good luck. I you have already done your English language test and have a positive skills assessment, then you will get an invite in the September round for sure. You would with 65 points, so with 80 points it's a no brainer...

The biggest risk is you over claim in your EOI. Again, your VISA invite is purely based on what you submit in your EOI. But, if you fail to substantiate any aspect of your EOI, then your visa claim will be rejected (and you will lose your fee).

Sorry if you already know all of this....

Good luck - let me know if you have any questions...