NSW solicitor skills and form 16 advice request

Guest Guest109904

Guest Guest109904

Hello

I have just started my 'training contract' here in the UK, and am not sure whether to submit form 16 for academic skills assessment now (as a student) or after I have qualified in the UK in two years time (as an admitted solicitor).

I'm trying to work out whether there would be any difference in how many subjects I would be required to take, if I submit form 16 now or once qualified.

I have heard qualified solicitors saying they were told to only take roughly 2 subjects, and students say they were told to take roughly 8 subjects.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Many thanks! :)

I got my academic and PLT assessments done in NSW, so can give you a bit of information about my experience of that process. Timing-wise, personally I'd focus on the training contract for now and then wait to see if you enjoy your training contract before thinking of qualification in Australia. It's quite a process to go through if you later decided that you don't like working as a lawyer.

The academic assessment focused on the content of my degree. I had to take 4 additional academic subjects, which took me about a year studying part time in the evenings (on top of working full time).

How much extra study you would need to do will depend on the content of your degree. When I was taking the extra academic subjects, most of my fellow students with a 3 year UK law degree had to study 4 or 5 academic subjects. But this depended on degree content, so varied from person to person. If you don't have a 3 year law degree e.g. did a conversion course, then I think there may be a requirement to study a greater number of subjects. I remember I found quite a useful booklet on the LPAB website which gave all of the criteria for assessment - would be worth trying to have a look at that.

Hi

I have to study an additional 4 courses in Australia plus ethics. Am looking at a year of additional study, and isn't cheap! Be warned, if you are planning on skilled migration it is my understanding that you aren't 'skilled' until you have completed the additional requirements and you are ready to or have been admitted here. Appreciate you may have other visa plans and may not apply to you.

Have also heard on the grapevine that can be tricky to get jobs here as an NQ so may be worth getting a few years under your belt before moving.

Good luck with your training contract. Law is a great career :-)

Guest Guest109904

Hi HarveySpecter and Peachy

Thank you both for your replies! Can you confirm whether you took your additional subjects in the capacity of a UK qualified solicitor?

Thanks so much for your help

Qualified in UK 15 years ago. I haven't done my conversion yet. Have had too much going on and working full time but hopefully will start in the new year. Also a bit expensive - want to make sure that I will definitely be staying before I commit $$$$. The thought of paying to study company law is not something that excites me!

Archived