189 Documents - certified or not?

Hi all

I seem to be a little confused as there was someone saying the other day that your documents that you upload for your 189 visa do NOT need to be certified. Is this correct? I only ask as I've just been on Australian Border Force website and it states the following:

"All supporting documents must be scanned and uploaded with your application. All documents that you provide must be certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless specifically requested to do so by the department. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations."

Questions:

1. I have all of my documentation for my Skills Assessment that I am taking to my solicitors tomorrow to get certified. Should I:

1a: photocopy all of my documents before he certifies every document

1b: photocopy my documents after he has certified every document

This is for when I do my 189 visa and I upload the documents. Seeing as they're scanned up to their database, surely they won't be able to tell if they're a photocopy of the copy of the original document?

Thanks.

I think the guidelines haven't been updated since paper apps were the norm...For my 189 I uploaded colour scans of all original documents n that was accepted. .nothing was certified or copied. I got stuff certified for my skills assessment. .They are certifying copies so u need to bring the original and copy of everything u want certified n that is stamped..original does not get marked. Your local court should do it for free or small fee.

Hi all

I seem to be a little confused as there was someone saying the other day that your documents that you upload for your 189 visa do NOT need to be certified. Is this correct? I only ask as I've just been on Australian Border Force website and it states the following:

"All supporting documents must be scanned and uploaded with your application. All documents that you provide must be certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless specifically requested to do so by the department. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations."

Questions:

1. I have all of my documentation for my Skills Assessment that I am taking to my solicitors tomorrow to get certified. Should I:

1a: photocopy all of my documents before he certifies every document

1b: photocopy my documents after he has certified every document

This is for when I do my 189 visa and I upload the documents. Seeing as they're scanned up to their database, surely they won't be able to tell if they're a photocopy of the copy of the original document?

Thanks.

I second what @xxlornaxx has told you here. The new update on the 189 document checklist (from 1st July) has the word 'certified' removed from all the descriptions from all but one document if memory serves.

DIBP have accepted full colour scans without being certified for quite some time now.

Also as lorna says, it hails back to pre online (paper) submissions.

Added: I did get certified copies for my skills assessment though, that was done through the post and had explicit instructions to have supporting documents certified.

Added 2: if you wish to have the documents certified anyway then there's nothing wrong with that. All the person does to certify is state that it's a true copy of the original. They have no responsibility to check if the original document is a fake, only that the copy is identical. NB: The certifier writes on the photocopy, not the original, so make sure you don't spoil your originals with scrawls all over them!!

Thanks CapC

I have copies of my original documents. What I am asking is, once they've been certified by my solicitor, can I then photocopy those as all the certified copies will be going to Trades Recognition Australia

If that makes sense...

Thanks CapC

I have copies of my original documents. What I am asking is, once they've been certified by my solicitor, can I then photocopy those as all the certified copies will be going to Trades Recognition Australia

If that makes sense...

Officially no, as it will be a copy of a copy, but I think that it probably wouldn't show up that it was copied when you scan it.

Archived