Superior English for 189

PomCop

Evening all.

I have just been doing some browsing on the new Border.gov.au website and was looking into the 189 visa to see if anything had changed from the previous immi.gov.au

For my English Language Ability I need to achieve 'Superior' English to score 20 points. Now. This is where you lot come in. The website states:

[h=1]How can I prove I have superior English?[/h]To prove that you have superior English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

• You have achieved a score of at least 8 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.

• You have achieved a score of 'A' in each of the four test components of an Occupational English Test (OET) that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.

• You have achieved the following minimum test scores in each of the four test components: 28 for listening, 29 for reading, 30 for writing and 26 for speaking, in a Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.

• You have achieved a test score of at least 79 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in a Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.

• You have achieved a test score of at least 200 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test that has been undertaken on or after 1 January 2015 and prior to lodging the visa application.

Previously, I was certain that you could only use IELTS and PTE Academic for the 189 Visa unless you were a Medical Professional so in that case you would take the OET and so on... Would I be right in saying that they will NOW accept any of the above?

Ta.

Makes sense. I do not need any for my Skills Assessment, but just for the 189 visa. Hmm... decisions decisions!

I have been doing the PTE Academic online tests to get some practice in. Its a lot harder than what you think!

Makes sense. I do not need any for my Skills Assessment, but just for the 189 visa. Hmm... decisions decisions!

I have been doing the PTE Academic online tests to get some practice in. Its a lot harder than what you think!

There are a lot of people who rate PTE as being a better method and fairer test than the IELTS. Also the bonus with PTE is that you get the results very quickly, sometimes within hours of sitting the test, so you don't have to sit and wait 2 weeks to receive your results as with IELTS.

Have a look at this thread > http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233591

Yeah I've been following these threads about the different exams and PTE seems to be favoured at the moment. I will probably give both a try to see which suits me best and to see how far away I am from the "Superior" English on both - hopefully not too distant.

Likewise, if it cannot be achieved, it's a further two years wait to gain the extra work experience evidence for the extra points! Which isn't all that bad I suppose.

Archived