Sydney September 2015.. Hints, Tips & Tricks Please??

Byron Mason

Heyy Everyone,

I am about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime.. WHV Australia!! would love to get to know a few faces before I arrive in Sydney, any advise / recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

let me know your plans?

Thanks

B

Yes I've got 4 weeks booked in at a YHA hostel, I know it will be a little cooler I'm looking to get a job for a few months to have more pennies to backpack the east coast. Have you ever backpacked Oz?

I''m not sure if my early experiences in OZ can be termed 'backpacking', though I did stay at a few hostels in Perth, Adelaide and Sydney, travelling by Greyhound, but we are talking 'ancient history!'

I'm sure you will be OK in the YHA and you will almost certainly make friends there. Apart from the hostels themselves, there are other services catering to backpackers, travel agents for instance, based around them. Do the RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate soon after you arrive, as you will need that for bar work. There always seem to be some sort of work around. I spoke to some English girls who are working for an ANZ call centre (I think) and I was served by a young Irish guy in Officeworks (big stationery chain.) The only drawback to being a part of the backpacking community is that you won't meet so many 'real' Aussies there.

I''m not sure if my early experiences in OZ can be termed 'backpacking', though I did stay at a few hostels in Perth, Adelaide and Sydney, travelling by Greyhound, but we are talking 'ancient history!'

I'm sure you will be OK in the YHA and you will almost certainly make friends there. Apart from the hostels themselves, there are other services catering to backpackers, travel agents for instance, based around them. Do the RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate soon after you arrive, as you will need that for bar work. There always seem to be some sort of work around. I spoke to some English girls who are working for an ANZ call centre (I think) and I was served by a young Irish guy in Officeworks (big stationery chain.) The only drawback to being a part of the backpacking community is that you won't meet so many 'real' Aussies there.

Maybe it wasn't specifically backpacking however travelling throughout Australia is one of life must do activities! yes i was planning on doing the RSA asap, are there a lot of bar works jobs in or around Sydney?

I want to see the real Australia which is why i want to secure a job first and have more money at my disposal when backpacking.

B

Maybe it wasn't specifically backpacking however travelling throughout Australia is one of life must do activities! yes i was planning on doing the RSA asap, are there a lot of bar works jobs in or around Sydney?

I want to see the real Australia which is why i want to secure a job first and have more money at my disposal when backpacking.

B

I'm not sure about how many jobs there are, but there are often backpackers working in the pubs I frequent around Surry Hills. I don't know what 'the real Australia' is? You can find that at Bondi Beach on Xmas Day, when every other person seems to be a Pommie backpacker, or somewhere in the Outback.

I was just looking in my battered 'Australian Road Atlas' which I bought in Coffs Harbour in 1991, and I see there is a route from Melbourne in Victoria to Miles In Queensland, partly along The Newell Highway. Well, because it is inland, it means that most backpackers will not follow it, preferring the coastal road, not that there is anything wrong with that. But you will see backpackers everywhere. I talked to a Scouser girl once in a cafe in Bondi Junction, and she had worked at a roadhouse in Outback Queensland, said they liked her there and offered to sponsor her to change her visa.

I did a great road trip on my own in 2009, dropping my brother off at Sydney airport to fly to the US to see my other brother, and then I turned my car south and kept going till I reached Port Pirie in SA where I turned back east to Broken Hill, and on into Queensland, then east and south back to Sydney.

I don't know much about WHV any more. I think you can travel around OZ, working on fruit picking according to the seasons. That's all for you to find out. I was just thinking, 'why not go to London for a couple of weeks and stay at some Aussie/Kiwi hostels and try to get to know a few Aussies before you go, and get some experience of hostel living.

I will be completing the RSA course when i arrive so i can look for work in pubs etc, I know its hard to discover the real Australia given it is the backpackers paradise but i am hoping to see snipets of the 'real Australia'

I have you got a copy of your itinerary would love to see it and get some ideas of places to go etc?

WHV allows you to work and travel, you can only work for an employer a maximum of 6 months, do you know much about a full visa or sponsorship?

I was tempted to have a couple of weeks in London, but ive seen all of that before just want to get to Australia!

B

I did not have an itinerary as such. I just pointed my car south from Sydney airport and followed the coast road till I reached Port Pirie and turned back east. The car hire company I use - Bayswater, aka 'No Birds' is excellent value, but they place restrictions on where you can go in OZ and I could not go into WA. The only place I 'deliberately' picked was Silverton near Broken Hill. Everything else was just 'Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home.'

The 'Backpacker Route' is still the 'real' Australia, and you will meet 'real' Aussies everywhere but if you want to be different, go out into the bush where it's likely that less backpackers go. I've never been to Norfolk Island or Lord Howe Island, both part of Australia, although I think Norfolk has a certain amount of independence. I think it is where some of the 'Mutineers' from 'the Bounty' ended up? I don't know how many backpackers go there? Or how about to New Caledonia, a French colony three hours flight from Sydney. I went there as part of a cruise this year, and liked it enough to want to go back and stay longer.

If you have a particular skill, you may be able to get sponsored by an employer and change to a 457 visa - four year one. I've known people who have done that but, as I say, they have particular skills.

I wasn't thinking so much of seeing the sights in London, though I'm never bored there, as staying in a hostel to both get a taste of what is is like, and maybe to mix with a few Kiwis and Aussies.

Archived