Submitting partner visa app on basis of marriage prior to wedding day

Marlou

Hello - hoping someone can help with the following question:

when completing the partner visa application form, is it a problem to tick the box that says the grounds for the application is marriage (I.e. As opposed to de facto) if we're submitting the application the week before we get married? I was planning on doing that and just submitting the marriage certificate a few weeks later when we get it.

The background is that my fiancé (British) and I (dual Australian-British citizen) have been together for just over 5 years and living together here in the UK for over 3 years. We are going to submit his partner visa application this month to get in ahead of the massive fee increase on 1st July for offshore partner visa applications. For obvious reasons, we would much rather get the permanent partner visa straight away, without having to go through the temp visa stage first, and thought that applying on the grounds of marriage might help with that (plus we've been living together for over 3 years). I just don't want to shoot us in the foot if it would be viewed as an incomplete or inaccurate application...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

I applied for a spouse visa a year ago, a month before our wedding and in my application I included a copy of the form giving details of the register office ceremony. Confirmation of my application when CO appointed had marriage certificate as additional information required and to be supplied within 70 days of the date of the confirmation email. I uploaded a colour copy of the certificate after the marriage well within the deadline and that was that.

Granted a 100 visa in March and now typing this from the cold of Sydney! We had been 'together' for just under 6 years when I applied but never set up a full living together household since we were in position of being able to split time between UK/Europe and Australia, sharing expenses through tracking them through spreadsheets and with me paying for things in GBP and my, now, wife paying for things in AUD etc. Worked well for us on a practical and was accepted as a genuine and continuing relationship so I was granted the permanent visa straight off. So if you have been living together for 3 years with things in joint names and have now got married I would guess that there is a good chance that you would go straight to permanent resident status straight off.

Good luck with your application and marriage.

I applied for a spouse visa a year ago, a month before our wedding and in my application I included a copy of the form giving details of the register office ceremony. Confirmation of my application when CO appointed had marriage certificate as additional information required and to be supplied within 70 days of the date of the confirmation email. I uploaded a colour copy of the certificate after the marriage well within the deadline and that was that.

Granted a 100 visa in March and now typing this from the cold of Sydney! We had been 'together' for just under 6 years when I applied but never set up a full living together household since we were in position of being able to split time between UK/Europe and Australia, sharing expenses through tracking them through spreadsheets and with me paying for things in GBP and my, now, wife paying for things in AUD etc. Worked well for us on a practical and was accepted as a genuine and continuing relationship so I was granted the permanent visa straight off. So if you have been living together for 3 years with things in joint names and have now got married I would guess that there is a good chance that you would go straight to permanent resident status straight off.

Good luck with your application and marriage.

Thank you very much - that's definitely reassuring! And a good point about including copies of the marriage notice form! Thank you!

What are you going to enter as 'date of marriage'?

i have entered the actual date (which is at the end of this month) and we would sign and date the visa application forms before then. I was also planning on putting a note on the extra information sheet that the marriage cert will be submitted without delay in a couple of weeks following submission of the visa application. It should be transparent - I just want to make it clear that in addition to having lived together for over three years (and we'll submit leases and bills in joint names to back that up) we will also, as of one week or so after the application is submitted, be married.

am I missing any glaring problems with this approach?

Thanks for your time

Archived