Northern Beaches Schools

Dafydd OWen

Hi all

We are moving over in August from the UK and have chosen Collaroy Plateau as a place to settle. We have a boy currently in Y5 (turns 10 in June) and a girl in Y10 (aged 15 in August).

I'll be on a 457 so I know about the state school fees. I've looked at some of the private schools but they are out of my price range.

Do you have any recommendations for schools? Any I should avoid? Any other general advice would be great too.

Cheers

Daf

we might settle up that way too. We know there are good state high schools a few miles inland from there. Look at Killarney Heights, Davidson. I think the one further out by St Ives is also meant to be good.

I never got too much into primary schools, as I believe there are a lot more of those that are a decent standard. This knowledge is all from desk research, asking questions etc from the UK (as we don't move for another 6 weeks), but it might make a good starting point.

The schools nearer the coast aren't as good I heard. But if you find any more, let me know and share the wealth (PM if you prefer)

best

Matthew

• 5 weeks later...
we might settle up that way too. We know there are good state high schools a few miles inland from there. Look at Killarney Heights, Davidson. I think the one further out by St Ives is also meant to be good.

I never got too much into primary schools, as I believe there are a lot more of those that are a decent standard. This knowledge is all from desk research, asking questions etc from the UK (as we don't move for another 6 weeks), but it might make a good starting point.

The schools nearer the coast aren't as good I heard. But if you find any more, let me know and share the wealth (PM if you prefer)

best

Matthew

I'm afraid you are right, the high schools in the northern beaches are not very good unless your child can get into Manly selective. Living in Collaroy means your closest high schools are Cromer or a little further up to Narrabean sports high. We moved over just over 2 years ago and were initially going to settle in Cromer but after visiting Cromer high, decided against living by the sea. We are in Killarney Heights (Sydney's best kept secret) 20 mins drive to beaches and easy access to city on the bus (20 mins at weekend). Both my children go to Killarney Heights High. They came over in year 10 and 7. It was tough for my son moving at that time but great for my younger daughter. Although the schools here, including Killarney are no where near UK standards, I believe Killarney is the best you'll get if you cant afford private. There is also Freshwater campus that is for year 11 and 12 only that is meant to be very good. I wish I had sent my son there when he moved into year 11. He is sitting his HSCs this year. We also have Killarney Heights Public (primary) here too. Hope this helps!

Good luck

Roxy