Any kind of help would be much appreciated!

JonnyWark

Hi everyone, my names Jonny. I moved to Melbourne from Glasgow, Scotland in November 2014. I am a Boilermaker by trade but I've been finding it very difficult to find a descent full time job. A lot of the time this is because the company is looking for someone who is gonna be around for atleast a few years. I do plan on staying in Australia for the foreseeable future but I need to try get sponsored, not had any luck with that yet though. If anyone knows of any company's who are looking for Boilermakers and are maybe willing to sponsor me I would love to hear about them.

Thanks for any of your help.

Jonny

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Even if you can find a willing and eligible sponsor, you can only be sponsored for an occupation that is on the CSOL and Boilermaker is not listed. Metal Fabricator 322311 (which would cover many boilermakers) is however on there and significantly, is also on the SOL which means that if you could get a positive skills assessment and 60 points on the points test, you may be able to apply for a visa without needing any sponsorship at all. The occupation is also being sponsored by 5 states/territories (including Victoria) and if you can get skills assessment but are short of points, a state sponsored visa is also a possibility and is easier to get and better than employer sponsored as it allows you to work for any employer.

It would be a good idea to have an initial consultation with a good RMA who should be able to look at your qualifications and advise regarding the best next step. Don't leave it too long as (assuming you're here on a 12 month WHV), you don't have unlimited time up your sleeve before you will have to leave Australia if you're not eligible to apply for another visa.

Archived