Visa 189 - Certified copy of degree certificate

jac2011

Hi,

Think I am just getting myself tied in knots...

Can anyone confirm, does the degree certificate you upload to immi need to be certified? If it is a colour copy of the original does this bypass this?

Just thinking it's a little bit of a faff, to make the journey by bus with my little man to the city centre (which will turn into lunch and toys too) just to certify one document!

Thanks

Qualifications: evidence of your qualifications, such as certified copies of:

• degrees, diplomas, certificates and course transcripts
  • any other documents you provided to the relevant assessing authority to support your qualification claims.

Thanks @macca10 I may just go with it then. Thanks! Saves me a job tomorrow!

@Captain Roberto could it be that you are looking at jobs in Sydney and the demand is higher? I found it difficult to secure employment in Brisbane though I did get a few unit managers who would offer an interview on arrival. I also had one offer of an interview in northern Perth (Joondalup) though, this again was interview on arrival. I got offered a permanent position in Townsville as it is not as sought after and I suppose the supply is more difficult. They have a good hospital and health service up there and they service the whole of North Queensland.

Re the discussion about certifying/not certifying degree certificates or other documents.

When a document is certified, all the certifier does is to certify that a copy is a true copy of an original. They do NOT check the bona fides of the original. When you are sending paper documents, you send copies rather than originals so it's necessary to have the copies certified that they are true copies of the original documents. When you are uploading documents electronically however, a scan of an original is BETTER than a scan of a certified copy as it's one generation closer to the original. Many assessing authorities have not yet accepted that simple fact and strangely still insist on scans of certified copies but DIBP has accepted it and colour scans of original documents are acceptable to them.

I know colour copies of passport etc are okay, but does the same go for degree certificate? It seems more specific in the description...

I agree with the others. For online applications, scanned colour copies are usually acceptable. Case Officer can ask for certified copy to be provided, but usually the scanned colour copy is sufficient.

Re the discussion about certifying/not certifying degree certificates or other documents.

When a document is certified, all the certifier does is to certify that a copy is a true copy of an original. They do NOT check the bona fides of the original. When you are sending paper documents, you send copies rather than originals so it's necessary to have the copies certified that they are true copies of the original documents. When you are uploading documents electronically however, a scan of an original is BETTER than a scan of a certified copy as it's one generation closer to the original. Many assessing authorities have not yet accepted that simple fact and strangely still insist on scans of certified copies but DIBP has accepted it and colour scans of original documents are acceptable to them.

True that when a certifier certifies a copy they are only certifying that it is a true copy of the original, and they are not vouching for the bona fides of the original. However, a person authorised to certify a copy of a document should refuse to certify a document if they in fact suspect that the original document is fraudulent or that the certified copy would likely be used to commit a fraud. For example if a person presented a passport where the photo section looked like it had been tampered with and a new photograph inserted over an existing one - this tampering might be reasonably obvious on physical inspection of the document but not so obvious on a photocopy of it. The certifier owes a duty of care to persons to whom the certified copy may be presented.

In relation to the question of whether a scanned original is better than a scan of a certified copy one reason why assessing authorities/DIBP/etc might prefer or ask for a certified copy or scan of the certified copy rather than just a scan of the original is that the certifier should provide their name and contact details on the certified copy so that the assessing authority/DIBP/whomever can contact the certifier and confirm with the certifier that they saw the original document, and perhaps even ask other questions such as whether the person who presented the document was the person shown on the document, etc. So having the option to contact the certifier might be one reason to seek a certified copy or a scan of certified copy.

Hi,

Think I am just getting myself tied in knots...

Can anyone confirm, does the degree certificate you upload to immi need to be certified? If it is a colour copy of the original does this bypass this?

Just thinking it's a little bit of a faff, to make the journey by bus with my little man to the city centre (which will turn into lunch and toys too) just to certify one document!

Thanks

My agent told me I needed to get mine certified

My agent told me I needed to get mine certified

If it is a colour scan and it is solely to be used for uploading to the DIBP, it does not have to be certified.

Some assessing authorities want certified copies, for which a certification by a Registered Migration Agent is accepted by some, but not by others.

Thakyou @wrussell

After all the docs I have had certified for ANMAC and AHPRA and all the extra forms etc needing to go to the post office, this week I really could not be bothered making an extra trip for one more. The process takes soooo much time up!

I think I will be more happy about having a life back than getting my visa hehe

Archived