Moving from Perth to Brisbane

want2beaussie

Hey All :-)

Please excuse my user name; I created this over 4 years ago when I was first sorting out all my visas to stay in Australia!

I have actually been in Perth for the past 3 years after living in North WA for the 3 years before that & I have now been offered an awesome job in Brisbane CBD which would mean no more fly in fly out for me.

All very scary moving to the other side of the country; but would anyone recommend any nice suburbs within 10-20mins of the city which would be good for a couple 28 & 30. I'm from Leeds & my partner is Scottish. We don't know anyone either so would be looking to meet new people and be close to a local pub etc.

We're not overly fussy, just as long as the area is nice & a good bus/train route for me.

Look forward to hearing back from a few people in the know :smile:

Thanks

Danni

Toowong sounds like it would suit you. It has a major train station, plenty of buses, numerous restaurants and cafes, close to good shopping etc. The Royal Exchange (affectionately known as the R.E.) is a lively pub as is the Regatta. Bulimba might also suit or West End (very quirky and cosmopolitan)

Please excuse my user name; I created this over 4 years ago when I was first sorting out all my visas to stay in Australia!

I have actually been in Perth for the past 3 years after living in North WA for the 3 years before that & I have now been offered an awesome job in Brisbane CBD which would mean no more fly in fly out for me.

All very scary moving to the other side of the country; but would anyone recommend any nice suburbs within 10-20mins of the city which would be good for a couple 28 & 30. I'm from Leeds & my partner is Scottish. We don't know anyone either so would be looking to meet new people and be close to a local pub etc.

We're not overly fussy, just as long as the area is nice & a good bus/train route for me.

Thanks

Danni

Hi Danni, I am from Leeds too, being in the Brisbane area for 16 years now, though we are on the bayside about a 45min drive and a 1hr train journey. If you look on google maps and home in around train stations and river ferry stops so they are handy for your commute then maybe pick out a few suburbs and then ask about them, as really there are many decent suburbs around, depends on if you want to be nearer the water to the east or north/south sides for the sunshine or gold coasts. You could also look up house prices/rents for suburbs too as they may have an influence on your choice.

Cheers and have a great trip over.

Keith

Thank you for your replies!

I will have a look into those areas now Ozmaniac & do as you suggest Keith :-)

I would suggest a trip on the river cat ferry from end to end, get off at a few of the stops and have a walk around the burbs, besides the ferry ride being enjoyable itself (though not done it in the rain or cool winter nights), you will get a sense of the timings involved and a feel for the suburbs. We have often just taken walks around the suburbs, Newfarm, Bulimba, Hamilton are quite nice, the Storey bridge area is not too bad either, Toowong is ok but maybe a bit too concrete jungle and hectic for us.

Hi Danni

we made the move from Perth to Brisbane over 3.5yrs ago, my husband & I are both Scottish. For up to 20mins travel into CBD during peak hours I'd recommend living in any of the inner city suburbs. As a young couple you might enjoy Bulimba/Hawthorne/Balmoral and surrounding suburbs south of the river, Paddington/Rosalie/Milton to the West, Hamilton/Newstead/Teneriffe/new farm north, East Brisbane, Kangaroo Point to name a few. Most are dotted along the river with plenty of wining/dining options.

Im not overly familiar with south Brisbane suburbs, having always stayed north due to work.

Northside suburbs within 20mins that I would recommend looking at include, Ascot, Hendra, Clayfield, Nundah, Albion, Newmarket, Windsor, Kelvin grove.. include surrounding suburbs when searching via realestate.com.au. Unlike Perth there are an abundance of pubs, I'm sure you & your partner will settle well in Brisbane. It has a lot more to offer a young couple .

happy moving

nats

Hi Danni iv been in brissy for almost 3 years with my partner I'm 26 and he is 33 we are both from liverpool. We live in the city but there a loads of gorj suburbs to live in and the public transport is much better here than in Perth. Nundah is a great burb about 10mins on train to city. When is the big move?

lianne

Thanks

Danni

mate you sound like the same as what I've been doing me and the partner lived in perth for 5 years both from leeds uk, i did fly in fly out to north wa for 4 years and i am now just north of the gold coast love it over here, any advice just drops us a pm.. cheers

mate you sound like the same as what I've been doing me and the partner lived in perth for 5 years both from leeds uk, i did fly in fly out to north wa for 4 years and i am now just north of the gold coast love it over here, any advice just drops us a pm.. cheers

Thanks Steve - got an email today to say they are preparing an offer now for me; so all being well by the end of the week it will be signed, sealed & delivered!!!

I will definitely be PMing for advise! lol..maybe even a beer if we come down for a drive!!

Hi Danni, im from near leeds too and my name is also dani! me and my bf moved from perth to Brisbane for work and have stayed in a few areas until we found somewhere to settle. south bank in south Brisbane is gorgeous, definatley the best place we've stayed in in Brisbane so far, although we do prefer perth to Brisbane! hope it all goes well for you.

Archived