Have any Australian trained GPs been through the CEGPR process to work in the UK?

flyingnorth

Hi all,

My wife and I are new members here, looking to move back to the UK in around August this year. We're hoping to find anyone who might know about the experience of having (my wife's) Australian GP qualifications recognised in the UK (although she completed medical school in the UK). The process appears to involve a fairly onerous application for a Certificate of Eligibility for GP Registration (CEGPR), so any insights on whether this process is achievable would be great.

If you have any understanding of the process, or know others who have been through this or a similar process, we'd love to hear from you. In the meantime, we're very thankful for the great content on here about shipping and all the other necessities of such a move!

flyingnorth

Hi all,

My wife and I are new members here, looking to move back to the UK in around August this year. We're hoping to find anyone who might know about the experience of having (my wife's) Australian GP qualifications recognised in the UK (although she completed medical school in the UK). The process appears to involve a fairly onerous application for a Certificate of Eligibility for GP Registration (CEGPR), so any insights on whether this process is achievable would be great.

If you have any understanding of the process, or know others who have been through this or a similar process, we'd love to hear from you. In the meantime, we're very thankful for the great content on here about shipping and all the other necessities of such a move!

flyingnorth

I know nothing about what you ask but i am assuming that you do know the mess that the nhs is in according to the news with lots of gp's retiring early or emigrating but on the other hand the nhs must be desperate for staff so i would expect ( and i have no evidence for this) that they that they will ease the process in order to get a native english speaker.

• 6 months later...

Hi

I am an australian GP and going through the CEGPR at the moment. I have been in contact with the RCGP and whilst they are helpful in principle, the application is still absolutely mammoth and a lot of the instructions are incredibly vague and the RCGP cannot really answer the minutiae of what will and will not be accepted. For example, the reflective diaries....there is a template referred to from some obscure management speak website about a way for things to be done and yet that is completely at odds with the specialty specific guidance for what constitutes reflective writing. ANd it's a diary, not a case presentation...see what I mean? The RCGP won't give answers on that.

Given that 90% of the application comes down to your own case presentations, case histories, letters to demonstrate that, this or the other-there really is no guide as to what an assessor might want to hear on a particular day.

I am doing it with a 50/50 chance of it just being knocked back and then perhaps getting guidance. I wonder whether that's the best way to do it

I'd love to hear from you if you're wife got through

Hi all,

flyingnorth

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sydneydoc

Hi all,

I am also starting an application for a CEGPR with the GMC. I did my MBBS in the UK but GP training in Australia.

Could you advise how you are progressing with this and any problems you have encountered? There seem to be 3 separate people on here who are trying to do the CEGPR.

Given the challenge of doing an application it would be good to share any ideas as the information provided is quite variable and the GMC not always so clear.

In particular you need to be fully registered with a licence to practice for the whole time the application is in process which given the revalidation is somewhat of a challenge.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, my wife also found the reflective parts of the CEGPR process to be overly convoluted and of questionable value given the working conditions for doctors in the UK at present. We're over in the UK now, but she's taking time off with our first child, and is in no hurry to get her registration. If the rules don't change, she'll probably just look to undertake emergency department work or similar. However, we'll also be keeping an eye of the RCGP regulations, in case there's a window where they're more charitable towards recognition of the Australian certifications. Good luck all and, if you do go through the CEGPR process, we'd be very interested to hear about your experience!

Incidentally, she'd probably add that the working conditions are so comparatively good in Australia that you might want to be really sure you want to make the move! We're moving back for family, but I know that everyone has different pull factors!

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Just came across this thread.

I am in the process of the CEGPR application and find it so tedious and I am glad that my sentiments are shared.

I am a UK national that trained in the US and am going through this process now. I also took some time out to spend with my child and am now just looking to start back work again. How did your wife find the process? Hope you have all been successful. Look forward to hearing from you with any advice you have!

Thanks!

Hi Navya,

My wife has just done her first shift as a locum in the emergency department a local hospital in Hertfordshire and is planning to work 1 day a week there. Given the current state of general practice in the UK and how laborious the CEGPR application process is, she's not really interested in applying for GP recognition. It's frustrating, but we do hope things might become easier at some point in the future or we may end up back in Australia in the future, so the Australian training wouldn't have been a complete waste. If Brexit went ahead (though I suspect it won't), it might help Australia get back to equal consideration alongside the EU.

I will keep watch on this thread though - there doesn't seem to be much other discussion around on CEGPR, and certainly not much evidence of anyone completing it successfully, so hopefully we'll see someone get through!

All the best!

Archived