176 or 457 visa?????????????

Guest Daveyboy1969

Guest Daveyboy1969

i have been told that i can get a 176 state sponsored visa for south australia for my trade(print finisher) but i have also been told by a migration agent that i can get a 457 visa which would mean i could work anywhere in oz.

a seperate agent has told me that it would be much better to go for the 176 as the 457 can be a bit of a gamble as its a company sponsored visa and if it doesnt work out with that company we may have to come back

i'm getting really confused now and just want to get the process underway, can any one help

thanks

dave

Guest davyone1

Hi dave

iv'e just started the process also my agent told me if you have enough points then you should go for the 176 visa not the 457 .The 176 visa is PR and the 457 is only temp you will still have to apply for PR at a later date. i hope this helps good luck

Dave Julie and Tribe

Hi Dave, with regards to the 457-if it doesnt work out with the company you can get another to take over the 457 visa (as many times as you like) usually takes about a month to process and can usually getting a bridging visa whilst waiting for the new one to come through.

Guest JAY888

Hi Dave

I was in a simmilar situation as you .. 457 or 175.. I got good advice from Gill but I still went for 457. the reason being the employer has to satisfy some requirements in order to sponcer you which include travel, re-location accomodation etc so u have a place to go to in a new country and a job so there is some security. Some people will argue that this can be a slave visa but why not be optimistic rather be pessimistic . once you get there and u like it then u can always go for a 176 or 175 depending on your situation. 457 take 4 weeks. I think with 176 u have to stay in the state for a couple of years and so is with 457.. I hope this helps..

Guest Daveyboy1969

thanks Dave

i'm angling towards the 176, only problem is it has to be adelaide, the one part of oz i havent been to!!!! Still, love the country so i'm sure it will be great

thanks again

Dave Sue Jacob and Ronnie

Guest Gollywobbler
i have been told that i can get a 176 state sponsored visa for south australia for my trade(print finisher) but i have also been told by a migration agent that i can get a 457 visa which would mean i could work anywhere in oz.

a seperate agent has told me that it would be much better to go for the 176 as the 457 can be a bit of a gamble as its a company sponsored visa and if it doesnt work out with that company we may have to come back

i'm getting really confused now and just want to get the process underway, can any one help

thanks

dave

Hello Dave

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Have you checked all the State websites yourself to make sure that SA is the only state that would sponsor you for a 176 visa? If not, please see here:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

It can be a bit fiddly to search the various States but you can get there in the end!

The idea that you can work "anywhere you like" in Oz on a 457 visa in Oz is nonsense. You can actually only work in the place where your current employer-sponsor happens to be based or happens to send you to in the case of a large employer with a need to send staff all over Oz.

So if you get a 457 visa and move to - say - Melbourne but things do not work out for you there and the next employer-sponsor turns out to be in Brisbane, would you be able to afford to relocate?

I believe (but please note the italics) that the idea of 2 years in the Sponsoring State on the subclass 176 visa is actually only a moral obligation. As far as I know it does not have the force of Law behind it, and I believe that people do move inter-state within the two years.

However I am NOT sure about this so please do check with a reliable Registered Migration Agent and do not rely on the State/DIAC websites alone about this. The DIAC website particularly tends to muddle Law with Policy, in that it tends to steer people towards the Policy line with its explanations. It frequently happens that Policy's wish-list of ideas is not supported by the legislation itself and the court cannot give legal effect to a mere wish-list that has no force in Law.

Remember that DIAC are the game-keepers, paid by the Government. RMAs tend to be poachers with much cannier ideas!

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Daveyboy1969

thanks Gill

I've been on to my agent and things have now changed!!

With my trade being a print finisher not a printer(there is a difference) I'm only eligable for a 475 temporary visa in SA. He has said that this is not a major problem as it will get us there and as long as I work for 12 months out of 2 years I can apply for permenant resendency which wont be a problem.

This is getting more confusing by the day!!!!!! I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end

Dave and family

Archived