Bringing daughter to join us after settled on 189

susanbro

We are waiting for our regional sponsorship (489). My eldest daughter is included as a dependent as she is still in education. We are aiming to apply for permanent residency once we are eligible. She plans to get back into education after taking 6 months off to do some voluntary work. My question is, has anyone applied for permanent residency for their older children and what obstacles may we be faced with ??

We don't have the option of applying for a permanent visa prior to leaving as I fall short of the points, hope someone can help wink.gifmask.gif

Interested in the reponse to this as my OH has a daughter who would like co come join us once we get out 189's and have got a house etc. She is only 14, 15 this year so hoping it will be a straight forward process to bring her over next year to continue her education xx

Interested in the reponse to this as my OH has a daughter who would like co come join us once we get out 189's and have got a house etc. She is only 14, 15 this year so hoping it will be a straight forward process to bring her over next year to continue her education xx

Your case is really very different to the OPs. Your best bet would be to include her as a dependent on your own application now. She would need to validate the visa, but she doesn't have to move with you, she could join you later.

Are you saying that your OH's daughter is not included as an applicant on your 189? If that's the case, it would be far better if she can be included on your 189 application as a Migrating Dependent even if she only comes for a visit to validate her visa and then returns to the UK. Of course, her other parent will need to be very co-operative for it to work that way. At the very least, you should try to have her included as a Non-migrating Dependent in which case she will need a medical. If she's included as a Migrating Dependent, the cost will be AUD$880 and she will be granted a 189 visa at the same time as the rest of the family. If she isn't included and must therefore apply for a Child visa at a later time, the cost will be $2370 (at today's rates) and there is currently an 8-12 month processing time.

Are you saying that your OH's daughter is not included as an applicant on your 189? If that's the case, it would be far better if she can be included on your 189 application as a Migrating Dependent even if she only comes for a visit to validate her visa and then returns to the UK. Of course, her other parent will need to be very co-operative for it to work that way. At the very least, you should try to have her included as a Non-migrating Dependent in which case she will need a medical. If she's included as a Migrating Dependent, the cost will be AUD$880 and she will be granted a 189 visa at the same time as the rest of the family. If she isn't included and must therefore apply for a Child visa at a later time, the cost will be $2370 (at today's rates) and there is currently an 8-12 month processing time.

Not sure if her mother would allow us to that, plus my OH has a son who is only 10 - I think to do it with one, we would need to do it with the other so as not to upset him. The cost factor definitely is better is we include her on the 189, or even both - might be something worth sitting down and discussing with the ex-wife, if we explain the benefits of it for them in later life. Thanks for your help xx

If you have a good relationship with your OH's ex, it really would be worth discussing it with her with a view to including both children. It opens doors and opportunities for the children that may be completely closed if they're not included either now on this 189 visa (by far the cheaper and easier alternative) or as applicants for Child visas later (which would also require the same level of co-operation by their mother). You can vouch how difficult and expensive it is to get a skilled work visa for Australia and that will be the case for the children if they are not able to take advantage of this opportunity. I suspect it could come down to whether she trusts you to send them home after they validate their visas but much the same will apply if the intention is that they will be visiting their father over the next few years. Seems a pity for them to miss out on the option to live and work in Australia at some time in the future.

Anyway, good luck however it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...
If you have a good relationship with your OH's ex, it really would be worth discussing it with her with a view to including both children. It opens doors and opportunities for the children that may be completely closed if they're not included either now on this 189 visa (by far the cheaper and easier alternative) or as applicants for Child visas later (which would also require the same level of co-operation by their mother). You can vouch how difficult and expensive it is to get a skilled work visa for Australia and that will be the case for the children if they are not able to take advantage of this opportunity. I suspect it could come down to whether she trusts you to send them home after they validate their visas but much the same will apply if the intention is that they will be visiting their father over the next few years. Seems a pity for them to miss out on the option to live and work in Australia at some time in the future.

Anyway, good luck however it turns out.

Thank you for your help and information on this subject @Ozmaniac. We spoke to the kids mother at the week-end, she is more than happy to allow us to add the kids to our visa application now. Next step speak to our agent and see what additional documents we need to provide. Thanks again :) xx

Archived