Occupational Health & Safety Adviser - VETASSESS advice needed

rebecca2512

Hi

I am currently preparing to get my skills assessed via VETASSESS under the Occupational Health & Safety Adviser role but would like some views/advice from those who may have more experience in this from myself as to what my chances are of getting a positive skills assessment.

I hold a BA (Hons) Business Management as well as having completed 30 credits at Masters level in Risk & Safety. I have 4 years experience working in Risk & Safety for the National Health Service in England covering duties listed under the OHS Adviser profession.

I am aware for this job the qualification must be in a highly related field, which I don't think my BA (Hons) would qualify for and my Masters credits do not make up a full qualification at present.

Currently I am in Australia on the WHV so applying for OHS jobs here also in the hope of possibly securing sponsorship however I would prefer to apply for GSM if possible. Other occupations look potentially suitable such as Primary Health Organisation Manager or Health & Welfare Services Manager nec but I am unsure which would be the best option.

Can anyone provide any advice on my current situation?

Kind Regards,

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

I have PR with that category, however did not find it easy. Degree was not classed as relevant, they do not recognise NEBOSH, I have 13 years as a H&S Manager with a blue chip company, none of which was relevant.

So..... I had to do my MSc in Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety Management, thought that was fine, but then had to complete twelve months work experience POST my MSc. They wouldn't count any of my previous experience which was very frustrating. In the end I got our PR granted two weeks before my 40th birthday (at which point I would have lost 5 points and then would have needed another two years work experience!).

We have just activated our visas and are planning to make the move May 2016.

I am am worried about work prospects when we move as I have no Australian experience, so will have my fingers firmly crossed!

Laura

• 1 month later...
Hi Rebecca,

I have PR with that category, however did not find it easy. Degree was not classed as relevant, they do not recognise NEBOSH, I have 13 years as a H&S Manager with a blue chip company, none of which was relevant.

So..... I had to do my MSc in Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety Management, thought that was fine, but then had to complete twelve months work experience POST my MSc. They wouldn't count any of my previous experience which was very frustrating. In the end I got our PR granted two weeks before my 40th birthday (at which point I would have lost 5 points and then would have needed another two years work experience!).

We have just activated our visas and are planning to make the move May 2016.

I am am worried about work prospects when we move as I have no Australian experience, so will have my fingers firmly crossed!

Laura

Best of Luck Laura. I also gained my PR under same category i.e. OHS and did my validation trip in Jan 2014. Now planning to move in Q4 2016.

Lets be in touch as we will be moving in the same year and can help each other in getting into Australian market.

Regards,

• 11 months later...

hello both of you, i am actually new in here and need some information as you both seem of my particular filed; that is Occupational health and safety,

i have completed my master of commerce and have IOSH and NEBOSH too, i want to pursue masters in the same field, for which i need to know which master would be appropriate for me to continue as HSE Officer Occupational health and safety adviser,

1. can you tell me about the degree which i should pursue.

2. would that help me gain a PR in Australia?

3. what would be the fees?

4. Does this profession has significant jobs for immigrants?

regards

Babar

Best of Luck Laura. I also gained my PR under same category i.e. OHS and did my validation trip in Jan 2014. Now planning to move in Q4 2016.

Lets be in touch as we will be moving in the same year and can help each other in getting into Australian market.

Regards,

Archived