Rail signal electrician wanting work

MariaC

Hello

having spent the last 22 years in the UK rail signalling industry , i am looking to continue my career in Australia .

Well I have jumped through all the necessary hoops so far, Vetassess electrician general,IELTS,visa independent skilled 189 all granted.

i am looking to head off this August with the family to preferably Queensland or NSW ,does anyone know of any contacts within the rail industry in Australia that may be of assistance.

i have an IRSE licence and full signal maintenance testers certificate ,and extensive experience and certification in rail signalling equipment in the railway environment

Any advice would be appreciated also any electrician jobs where I could gain my full A grade licence

many thanks

tim

• 3 weeks later...

I Googled 'Sydney trains' (http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/sydneytrains/careers)

1_PageIdentity_0_0.png

Home > Sydney Trains > Careers [h=1]Careers[/h] Sydney Trains operates quick, frequent and reliable trains in the greater Sydney suburban area. Sydney Trains also operates and maintains the metropolitan rail network and provide maintenance services to NSW Trains.

[h=3]Do you want to be part of an exciting organisation that impacts hundreds of thousands of customers each day?[/h]

homepage-podcareers1.jpg

homepage-podcareers5.jpg

homepage-podcareers6.jpg

Sydney Trains provides a great opportunity to work in a diverse and rewarding environment offering excellent career progression.

Please note that Sydney Trains and NSW Trains upgraded to a new recruitment system in January 2015. As a result, you may need to create a new account to apply for roles.

Tags:

Sydney Trains

Last updated 16 January 2015

LeftBlueTriangle.png

• 1 month later...

My hubby says try Siemens rail au, he works over here in the rail industry. Also says it can be a bit of a closed shop over here in rail. Massive country not much rail infrastructure and most maintenance contracts in house ( and staffed up). There's some opportunity but limited compared to 5-10 years ago when new build for mining etc was booming so prepare to struggle at first

• 2 years later...
On 15/03/2015 at 10:41, MariaC said:

Hello

having spent the last 22 years in the UK rail signalling industry , i am looking to continue my career in Australia .

Well I have jumped through all the necessary hoops so far, Vetassess electrician general,IELTS,visa independent skilled 189 all granted.

i am looking to head off this August with the family to preferably Queensland or NSW ,does anyone know of any contacts within the rail industry in Australia that may be of assistance.

i have an IRSE licence and full signal maintenance testers certificate ,and extensive experience and certification in rail signalling equipment in the railway environment

Any advice would be appreciated also any electrician jobs where I could gain my full A grade licence

many thanks

tim

Hi Maria! I really hope you get this! My hubby works for London Underground currently in the Control Room as a Technical Officer but has been in Signalling for the last 13 years. I came across an old post of yours dying joe hard your hubby found it due to the stupid ‘domestic electricians experience ‘ needed despite that having nothing to do with the rail industry in the uk! 

My hubby doesn’t have a degree but is irse licensed and has passed all necessary in house stuff. I’d love to arrange a chat as like you all migration agents have told is a move is impossible as he doesn’t have a degree and has no domestic sparky quals. But I assume you’ve made the move - HOW?! 

Fingers crossed yousee this!! 

We’re coming to oz for a month this April so really hope to make some contacts to get it all moving........

hope to hear from you and hear how it’s all going !! 

Best,

abigail 

Hi Abigail

We made the move in august 2015 and we are on the Gold Coast.  

The whole process of getting the 'ok' was ridiculous so I will try to be as clear on things as possible. 

Firstly, we did not use a migration agent. We did everything ourselves as like you we were told no we couldn't get in without a degree by migration agents. Do not listen to them! They are clearly unskilled as we are living proof it can be done. I have read many cases where people were also told no as they had a special needs child too.....our son has Aspergers and wasn't a problem also. 

Basically my husband went through all the testing under vetassess and compiled a huge amount of proof to go along with it........IRSE certificate, all qualifications, all certificates,........everything he had accumulated over the last 20 years. He also has no domestic electrician qualifications but to be honest your hubby sounds intelligent like mine so if he should be able to apply what he knows in the signal electrician area to the domestic area as its logic. Do some reading up first just like you would for any test and you can make it work?

The next thing we basically went through the criteria methodically relating all evidence to the relevant criteria to try to make it easier for whoever would be looking through it for the 189 visa. We got the dreaded result and was refused! My husband immediately phoned up and asked why. Basically the guy on the end of the phone was no where near as skilled as my hubby so had no chance of understanding how each piece of evidence related to each criteria. He pointed out the area he felt my hubby didn't meet criteria and my hubby very quickly directed him to all evidence relating to it and talked him though it and how it met the criteria. Guess what......5 minutes later we get a yes! 

Seriously the rail signal area is really grey as they are not testing it properly.........they are doing it under domestic electrician which in oz is relevant but not in uk. My advice........your husband sounds more than qualified so just go through everything methodically and argue everything backing up with evidence. Don't sit back and accept a no......a lot of these people do not understand your husbands skills so should not be judging them. 

There is not much rail work on the Gold Coast at all, it's mainly in Brisbane so hubby was commuting everyday from Tugun to  Brendale.....we had already committed on this area to live before he found work so got stuck. He was with a company called Judge brothers but work was not consistent and commute was ridiculous so he's actually working as a warehouse manager instead now local to where he lives. Don't  know where your thinking of moving to but you can find out the names of the rail companies on google. It's qld rail in qld......think there may be others but not sure. It is very difficult getting into these companies so don't be put off if your husband finds it tough getting work. Don't forget, you can get employment as anything once you are here and I generally find wages are better than uK.

Incidentally I am no longer with my husband. We split up in January and I am currently trying to start my life over. Myself and my daughter found it so tough for months, we cried everyday and my daughter even went back to uk on her own for 5 months at 16 to try and stay. It's been 2 and a half years since the move and we are doing much better but it has been very hard. All friends we have made have turned out to be English lol. It is very very different here and it's not for everyone but you deserve to have the opportunity as your hubby is skilled enough. 

Dont accept no for an answer......argue it and back with evidence if need be and don't listen to the migration agents, they are only interested in your money. 

I wish you luck in your journey and hope it all works out for you

maria

x

Hi Maria! I'm so sorry to hear about you're split :(

As your husband had the same walls to encounter how did VETASSESS let him be assessed as when we had a skype with the head of the training school for all electricians in oz, he said he wouldn't even assess Mark! So we cant even get as far as you did. Did you just apply to VETASSESS ? Not sure how that bit works.  

Plus how did you know what to do, google lol!? 

Were in oz for a month from april 8th. Going to perth then Sydney and flying home from Brisbane. My hubby wants Sydney as not only doi the have the underground but he loved it there. I have a contact in perth at the TRA so hoping to meet up with him.

Are you happy you made the move ? 

Hi Abigail

i do find the whole process is unfair......corrupt even. We both googled for months and months learning as we went along. 

My husband did the IELTS (for the extra points), applied for vetassess testing and went along for it. I don't see how that guy is allowed to refuse to test your husband. I would personally just apply and carry on your process. We were told no as I mentioned but we knew we were right in our application, we argued and proved and I would do the same if I were you. 

You read so many stories about similar situations where one family has been told yes another no......seems to depend on who they come across. All I know is the criteria and that we met it! If you check the criteria and meet it too, go through each process, get evidence and prove it. If someone tries to say no ask why and use your evidence. It's tiring and draining but will be worth it if you make it.

Im glad I made the move even though I am still trying to find myself here and miss things about the uk( scenery, people, beautiful buildings) it's very bland here and yes the beach is lovely and the warm weather but it's working out a balance I guess. I still haven't made friends and have been through so much since I landed......I am starting my life again. I needed to leave the uk for many reasons(get away from abusive family) so sometimes it's about what your running from not what your running to.

Keep focused and research each stage thoroughly making sure you have everything required.

Good luck x 

Archived