Is it better apply 190 NT or 489 WA ?

Toon2015

Dear All,

I am new to this forum. After I read several threads on this forum, it really helps me a lot to prepare for my application.

Right now, I have dilemma about applying the types of visa to get my PR.

My migration agent suggests me to apply for 190 visa for NT because it is permanent resident visa, since I have 55 points,also my agent told me that I have very good chance to get 190 visa easily. Another option is 489 visa in WA which give me similar chance to get PR but not sure whether my occupation will be stay on the SOL after 2 years.

I've read most of thread regarding 190 visa in NT, and to my surprise, many people applying for 190 visa are rejected and being offered to apply for 489 visa. If I get rejection after I submit my application, I would have no opportunity to get PR in anyway because both visa are very expensive and it will take extra time to re-apply again.

With very tight financial I have right now, I can only afford to pay for 1 type of visa only.

Which one is a better option: taking risk with NT 190 visa or applying for 489 visa in WA?

If anyone has opinion or information about these two visas and the prospect of getting job in the areas, please share ....

The money matter and the change regulation really make me stress in choosing these two options.

Any help from anyone will be appreciate it...

Thank You

I think you may have misunderstood at least part of how state sponsored visas work and when Visa Application Charges must be paid.

You seem to be saying that you believe that you would need to pay $3520 for a 190 NT application then another $3520 for a 489 with sponsorship by either the NT or WA if the NT isn't willing to sponsor you for a 190 - that is not the case.

If you apply for 190 sponsorship from the NT but the NT advises you that they are only willing to offer sponsorship for a 489, this all happens before you lodge a visa application or pay anything.

If the NT refuses to sponsor you for a 190 and is only willing to sponsor you for a 489, you would then be left with the options of a) lodging (and paying for) a 489 application with NT sponsorship OR b) getting sponsorship from WA for a 489 and then lodging (and paying for) a 489 application with WA sponsorship. Either way, you would only need to pay for one visa unless DIBP finds something wrong with your actual visa application (e.g. wrongly calculated points, medical or character issues etc) and you lose your Visa Application Charge because of it, but that is a risk with ALL visa applications.

Because the NT is only rarely willing to offer sponsorship for a 190, it seems to me that your real choice is between a NT 489 or a WA 489 provided you can meet the specific state requirements e.g. Can you meet the NT's high financial capacity requirements? By all means try for a NT 190 (it won't cost extra to do so) but be prepared to end up applying for a 489 for one of the states.

Living costs are high in Darwin, accommodation is scarce, the climate can be very hard to take for some people but unemployment is very low in many occupations. On a WA 489, you will not be able to live in Perth so employment opportunities may be limited in regional areas for some occupations. What is your occupation?