serious advice needed on how to obtain a skilled visa

Anthony25

If you are a citizen of an English speaking country, you don't need to do IELTS to meet the basic visa requirements but if you want to apply for a visa without employer sponsorship i.e. an Independent 189 or state sponsored 190, you must pass the points test. Tradies usually have trouble getting to the required 60 points without earning points for Proficient or Superior English and for either, you must do one of the English tests (IELTS isn't the only one).

Thanks very much. So I will have to do a English test to meet the requirement 189 visa

You can get the 189 visa without the English test as you are English..... BUT you need to score 60 points to get a visa. You get points for many things like ages, qualifications etc. One of the things you get points for is English language. It is 10 points for proficient English and 20 points for superior English. You MUST take the English test and obtain the requited mark to gain the 10 or 20 points regardless of where you are from. A lot of people struggle to get 60 points without the points for the English language test so you will no doubt need it. Hope that makes sense. If not look at the immi website for what you get points for.

Ozzydreamer nice one that makes perfect sense thank you. The only thing am unclear on is which English test to take what would be the best one to do. I have been told the is a couple and am unsure is this information correct.

Ozzydreamer nice one that makes perfect sense thank you. The only thing am unclear on is which English test to take what would be the best one to do. I have been told the is a couple and am unsure is this information correct.

Ha ha no worries :)

Generally people take the IELTS as the TOEFL and PTE are only fairly recently allowed. I have only done the IELTS as the other 2 wernt out when I did mine. I didn't like the IELTS and lots of people hate it. I have heard good reviews about the PTE. The IELTS needs to be book quite far in advance and it takes ages for the results to come back. You can book the PTE test for in a few days and the results come back in about 24/48 hrs so faster turn around than IELTS. Just from reviews I would say the PTE test. The waiting around you do with IELTS is a killer. Not heard of many people taking the TOEFL don't think it is so popular.

Archived