Hello from the UK..............Import Duties!

Major Tom

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, so hello to all.

i am going through the partner visa process as we speak, and I am looking into what the costs would be for the shipping of my two vehicles:-)

2003 Honda VTR SP2 motorbike.

1972 VW Westfalia Continental Late Bay Campervan.

I have been advised that there is a VAT or import duty/tax on top of the shipping costs, and reading into some information on the web, it depends on how old the vehicles are also?

thanks for your help in advance.

cheers MT

• 3 months later...
Welcome MT, the camper will be duty exempt, but you will pay 5% duty on the value of the bike + shipping costs, then 10% GST on the value of the lot.

Hi Iron Chef, is that 10% GST using what price method, UK or Oz prices, how do I calculate? In the UK the Kombi is insured for £20k and Bike is around £6500K.

Hi Iron Chef, is that 10% GST using what price method, UK or Oz prices, how do I calculate? In the UK the Kombi is insured for £20k and Bike is around £6500K.

For personal imports or anything owned for longer than 12 months, Customs will generally expect a valuation to be done, so there's no easy way to know what you'll get hit with, short of asking a friendly PIO member who has access to an excellent valuation calculator that may be able to help :)

Archived