Could an employer sponsor you to remain in Australia during 1st year of 417 visa?

Jonny Jobes

I can't find an answer to the following question anywhere so I'd really appreciate your help on it. I've just been granted a 417 WHV which I got just in the nick of time because I'm about to turn 31. This unfortunately means that I can't apply for the 2nd year extension because I'll be too old. So I was wondering, I know Australian employers sponsor foreign residents to remain and work in Aus but can that happen in the 1st year of someone's 417 or do you have to successfully apply for the 2nd year extension first. I hope I've made my point clearly.

Thanks.

I can't find an answer to the following question anywhere so I'd really appreciate your help on it. I've just been granted a 417 WHV which I got just in the nick of time because I'm about to turn 31. This unfortunately means that I can't apply for the 2nd year extension because I'll be too old. So I was wondering, I know Australian employers sponsor foreign residents to remain and work in Aus but can that happen in the 1st year of someone's 417 or do you have to successfully apply for the 2nd year extension first. I hope I've made my point clearly.

Thanks.

There is no reason why an employer cannot sponsor you - most likely option is a 457 visa the fact you were on a WHV at the time would be irrelevant.

It is a long shot though, the fact you are on a WHV restricts your employment to 6 months and most of the work you are likely to get is unskilled and therefore not eligible for sponsorship.

If you work in an industry where short-term contracts are the norm, such as IT, then there is more chance - although there would then need to be a permanent role on offer.

To answer you question though the 2nd year WHV is irrelevant to employer sponsorship.

Yes it can be done. Your occupation must be on the sol or csol. If it is, then Google the code which goes with it and that will give you the minimum qualifications and experience needed. Not all employers are eligible to sponsor though, even if they want to, so don't count anything as set in stone until it happens.

In addition to what Lady Rainicorn and blossom79 have said, you should also keep in mind that many employers will not know anything about how to sponsor you. It would be wise to familiarise yourself now with the various options which may be open to you in the event that you do find a suitable employer willing to sponsor you. When you interview for jobs on your WHV, some employers may be concerned about the 6 month limitation and may ask you in the interview about options after the 6 months. It is good if you are well informed on your options so that you can explain that it will be possible to work past the 6 months if both they and you wish to. If you haven't bothered to look in to the options yourself, then a prospective employer may think well why should they bother looking in to it if you haven't or consider it to demonstrate a lack of motivation. If you are conversant with all the options which might be available after the 6 months, then a prospective employer will likely consider that this demonstrates motivation, enthusiasm, and perhaps even a commitment to their company because you are showing that you have looked in to how you might be able to stay with them past the 6 months and perhaps permanently.

There are other possibilities which may be open to you while on your WHV other than the standard 457 business sponsorship, for both temporary and permanent visas, so it is worth doing the research on this now before you go, or consult a registered migration agent and obtai a written assessment of the various visa options which may be open to you and what you (and a potential employer) should be doing during the course of the WHV To set this up.

I was very similar to you - was granted first WHV just befoe I turned 31, arrived having turned 31, worked with an employer who did not know how to sponsor but was willing to do it if I could do the work (basically they said their side would be to sign whatever they needed to sign and provide whatever cheque was needed for it; totally fair enough!). One of the reasons I probably got the job was because the employer was reassured that I knew what I was doing and would be able to work with them to stay with them for longer than the 6 months.

Good luck.

Thanks for the swift responses everyone, all of this is really useful. I can see things on the csol list which are relevant to my industry and I'm definitely qualified and have sufficient experience. I know of people who I've worked with in the past who've gone to Australia and have managed to get a 457 through their employer so fingers crossed the same will happen to me. If not I'm sure I'll have a great year nonetheless!

Thanks for the swift responses everyone, all of this is really useful. I can see things on the csol list which are relevant to my industry and I'm definitely qualified and have sufficient experience. I know of people who I've worked with in the past who've gone to Australia and have managed to get a 457 through their employer so fingers crossed the same will happen to me. If not I'm sure I'll have a great year nonetheless!

Just bear in mind that a 457 doesn't actually allow you to stay permanently but it'll give you up to another four years.

Archived