Regional Australia jobs for a Toolmaker

MickDundee88

Hi, iv'e been planning on migrating over to oz since being booted out from my 457 visa job in Perth 2 years ago. I went to see my migration agent today and have basically been given one option of a 487 visa to work as a Toolmaker in regional Australia (any state territory that will sponsor a toolmaker). My research is wearing thin on companies in regional WA and Queensland. Does anybody know of any companies or industrial estates outside of the main cities that id have a shot at getting a job as a toolmaker or machinist. i cannot get my own skilled visa as a first class machinist due to my employment history having 'toolmaker' plastered all over my job titles (even though I have to be a machinist to make tools :/) Any help here will be massively appreciated as I'm beginning to think ill be stuck in this dump of a town the rest of my life and my dreams are blowing right out the window.

I can't answer your question about jobs for a Toolmaker but if some agent has recently advised you to get a 487 visa, you should consult a new agent. That visa has been unavailable for over 2 years, was only ever available to holders of certain visas who were in Australia when they applied and skills assessment was required.

The nearest comparable visa is a 489 which is a state sponsored regional visa which can be applied for offshore or onshore but a positive skills assessment is mandatory for that visa.

In the absence of a skills assessment, another 457 is your only option.

You should consult another agent (one who is up to date and knows what they're talking about) to explore the possibilities of getting a skills assessment on the basis of your qualifications and work background. Once you have a skills assessment, you will have far more (and better) options.

AFAIK, only NSW and Queensland are currently sponsoring Toolmakers for 489s. In Queensland, your best best to look for work would be in Toowoomba, the Sunshine Coast or Townsville or maybe Gladstone or Mt Isa. NSW might offer more opportunities but I'm not sure where to suggest. Bathurst, Northern Rivers perhaps? Remember that once you have the visa, there's no requirement to work in your nominated occupation. Inorder to be eligible for a permanent visa, you must live in a regional area for 2 years (any regional area) and work full time for 12 months, but it can be in any occupation.

• 2 weeks later...

You can still consider employer sponsorship with the subclass 187 for PR? But, likely easier to take the State Nomination route, then find the work, any work, when you get here. I am with Ozmaniac, Gladstone could be the go. Research and approach some employers there. In NSW, consider Gunnedah, smallish place, but a bit on and the RCB would be happy to Nominate I would think.

Cheers for the advice. Whats RCB? I'm not familiar. I was sponsored before in Perth and got das boot when I was made redundant and everywhere was dead on work, so an employer sponsored visa doesn't give me much hope for PR. I think i would prefer Queensland (bar the rat sized spiders) but its finding a town with a bit of my industry in it. As much as I hate Toolmaking/Machining its still the wisest option for the bank

Archived