AHPRA Criteria 5 for midwives

markwm1977

Hi All

I am in need of help!!

I am a degree qualified midwife and health visitor and diploma qualified general and paediatric nurse.

I submitted my application in October and have submitted extra information they requested in January.

Can any recently registered midwives tell me what they supplied to satisfy criteria 5? My university have supplied AHPRA with a overseas transcript which they are saying is insufficient

thanks in advance!!

Jodie

Hi Jodie,

My partner is going through the same issues at the moment. Specifically criteria 5.1 (continuity of care cases). She provided 200+ pages of transcript which has been deemed insufficient. We're thinking she may need to go down the Supervised/Restricted registration route.

Would be interested to hear your experiences or how others have gotten around it.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Has anyone successfully got a jobsince this change has been implimented. I have been granted registration by AHPRA with notation and conditions. Now i am struggling to get a jbaafter all who wabts to take on a midwife needing 3-6 months of supervision !! Not terribly cost effective is it ! I have 5 1/2 years experience have a dream job in UK now feel stupid that I have spent 8K trying to move my family tothe other side of the world. WILL I EVERGET Q JOB ??? Help x:arghh:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm a midwife currently in the UK Ive recently been on hipoliday to Mandurah Perth and have been offered a job at a local hospital who are willing to sponsor me, I am currently in the process of collecting my info to send to APHRA, I have requested a letter from my university details specifically my hours with a break down of clinical and theory, that it was an NMC accredited course and I have studied medicines management! from what I understand speaking to other people unless you can specifically provide evidence of the 10 case loading cases then it will be supervised practice however I am going to send and await APHRA's response before I confirm with my potential employer ... I shall keep you all updated :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Any updates with jobs and APHRA registration? I too am a UK Midwife, keen to get the hell out of here but very concerned about 'Criteria 5' and it's implications for registration and gaining employment. I have 7 years experience, 2 of which I spent as a case-loading Teenage Pregnancy Midwife. So although I have the clinical experience of continuity of care cases, it was not something included specifically during my initial training. I'm pretty sure that work experience is not taken into consideration when it comes to registration which seems ridiculous, particularly with regard to the new 'criteria 5' nightmare.

Anyway it would be great to hear how everyone else is getting on with the process!

I am also keen to hear the outcome of your situations. I am a UK Diploma trained midwife with 14 years experience and it feels like it is nigh on impossible to get registered in Oz. I am contemplating topping up to a degree, but I fear even with this I would still not meet the APHRA criteria. Is it a guaranteed thing that with a midwifery degree I would get registration with APHRA? TIA

Hey Fazza16,

I believe you will need to top up to a degree before you will be considered for registration. The problem is this new 'criteria 5' which has been implemented recently and requires our pre-registration training to have included a minimum of 10 continuity of care episodes. The University where I trained started this a couple of years after I qualified but it seems without it, Midwives are having to register with conditions meaning they have to work under supervision for a period of time. So in answer to your question, at the moment a degree does not guarantee FULL registration with AHPRA. This in turn may make it very difficult to get work or will certainly limit options considerably. Very frustrating!

I will update you with anything else I discover during this long and complicated journey...

Good luck!

Archived