NICU nurse wanting to start the process but feeling disheartened before I start!

nursekelly

Hi there

I'll apologise in advance for what I think might be a long post ..........:blink:

I've been doing some research into the process of trying to get to Australia for a while (initially in 2009 before qualifying) and think its time to stop the lurking around forums and ask for some advice and guidance!

I'm a child branch nurse with a first class BSc (Hons) and have worked in neonates since qualifying over 5 years ago. I've attained my neonatal qualification in speciality for special care, high dependency and intensive care and after my initial location research in 2009, I'm keen to try and get to Brisbane or the surrounding area with my husband and nearly-4-year-old son.

But, after trying to contact various organisations (including Queensland Health, Immigration, ANMAC etc) and recently reading some negative experiences about the opportunities in Oz (together with the costs of migration reaching £30,000), I'm feeling really disheartened and wondering if I should give up on my Australian dream .........

 Does anyone know if there are any realistic opportunities for UK-qualified NICU nurses in Queensland or is the demand for skills being met internally? Obviously, before I take any steps in the migration process (and part with any cash) I need to know whether there's likely to be a job at the end of it. I'd love to hear from anyone who's made the move and can comment about whether there's any real chances for nurses with my skills and experiences.

 According to the QLD Health website, they prefer to employ migrants on a 457 visa, which I was initially quite happy to do, but after reading around and contacting a friend-of-a-friend who migrated 6 years ago, I know that these visas come with risks. So, I've been reading about the 189 for PR but wondered if QLDH would not offer employment if it wasn't with a 457?

 Will my husband need to apply for a 189 visa in his own name or do spouses and dependants go on my application? He's not on the SOL and works (currently on a self-employed basis) as a Materials Handling (ie forklift truck etc) Instructor and Examiner.

 "Registered Nurse (Paediatric)" (ANZSCO 254425) is on the SOL but NOT on a list of nurses that can migrate according to a page on the Go Matilda website. Is this correct??? If so, and with my neonatal intensive care experience, could I apply under ANZSCO code 254415 which covers "critical care and emergency" nursing?

 On the NBMA website it states that sole-qualified nurses (which I'm guessing also means child-branch nurses) must have "supervised practice". Does anyone know much about what this means and if it impacts on how employable you are?

 I'm aware that if applying for 189 PR I will need to do an English assessment and that there is the IELT or OET. Is IELT the preferred type by ANMAC? If so, does it need to be the "Academic" version? Can anyone advise how long they took to prepare for the exams so that I can get a date booked?

 Does it really cost £30,000 to get out to Oz? I doubt I'd use an MA as I've been offered help by someone who is out there so that would save some money. I've no pets to ship out which I also believe bumps up the costs.

I think that's it for now but hope you don't mind me posting again if I need more expertise help!:unsure::unsure:

I really appreciate you reading my post and look forward to you sharing your experiences and sharing your knowledge.

Thanks, Kelly x

Hi kelly

Yes it is really daunting and expensive. I'm Interested in why the queensland health put you off a 189. This is an independent visa so once you have it you can go to Australia and apply for and take any job you want as will your other half....you will both be permanent residents. I can't see why an Australian would be more employable than you when you have PR. I imagine what they mean is that they prefer 457s to a sponsored skilled visa as the skilled visa's costs them more. Others who have actually made the move may know more about this than me.

Whether there are jobs in brisbane?? A job search should give you an answer. There is the new children's hospital and the Mater group that I have been looking at.

I would definitely go for the 189 if you are sure you want to stay and if your other half's job is not on the SOL as it gives you a lot more security as well as help with childcare and access to public services and schools.

I would ignore what go matilda says about SOL jobs and just go on the immi.gov website for up to date codes.

No idea of the supervised practice thing. Never heard of it. Is that for enrolled nurses may be? You should be fine with your degree and experience.

Ielts is the academic one and usually one of your 1st steps in the process. The results go on your 189 application to help with points as well as your anmac assessment application. Just Google ielts for your local centre and all the info is there.

You need to sit down and list your expenses to work out what it might cost. There are plenty of threads on here to look at this. Depends on what visa you do, if you want to ship things,Rental when you get there. I haven't done it yet so no actual personal experience.

Good luck with getting started!

Hi there

I'll apologise in advance for what I think might be a long post ..........:blink:

I've been doing some research into the process of trying to get to Australia for a while (initially in 2009 before qualifying) and think its time to stop the lurking around forums and ask for some advice and guidance!

I'm a child branch nurse with a first class BSc (Hons) and have worked in neonates since qualifying over 5 years ago. I've attained my neonatal qualification in speciality for special care, high dependency and intensive care and after my initial location research in 2009, I'm keen to try and get to Brisbane or the surrounding area with my husband and nearly-4-year-old son.

But, after trying to contact various organisations (including Queensland Health, Immigration, ANMAC etc) and recently reading some negative experiences about the opportunities in Oz (together with the costs of migration reaching £30,000), I'm feeling really disheartened and wondering if I should give up on my Australian dream .........

 Does anyone know if there are any realistic opportunities for UK-qualified NICU nurses in Queensland or is the demand for skills being met internally? Obviously, before I take any steps in the migration process (and part with any cash) I need to know whether there's likely to be a job at the end of it. I'd love to hear from anyone who's made the move and can comment about whether there's any real chances for nurses with my skills and experiences.

 According to the QLD Health website, they prefer to employ migrants on a 457 visa, which I was initially quite happy to do, but after reading around and contacting a friend-of-a-friend who migrated 6 years ago, I know that these visas come with risks. So, I've been reading about the 189 for PR but wondered if QLDH would not offer employment if it wasn't with a 457?

 Will my husband need to apply for a 189 visa in his own name or do spouses and dependants go on my application? He's not on the SOL and works (currently on a self-employed basis) as a Materials Handling (ie forklift truck etc) Instructor and Examiner.

 "Registered Nurse (Paediatric)" (ANZSCO 254425) is on the SOL but NOT on a list of nurses that can migrate according to a page on the Go Matilda website. Is this correct??? If so, and with my neonatal intensive care experience, could I apply under ANZSCO code 254415 which covers "critical care and emergency" nursing?

 On the NBMA website it states that sole-qualified nurses (which I'm guessing also means child-branch nurses) must have "supervised practice". Does anyone know much about what this means and if it impacts on how employable you are?

 I'm aware that if applying for 189 PR I will need to do an English assessment and that there is the IELT or OET. Is IELT the preferred type by ANMAC? If so, does it need to be the "Academic" version? Can anyone advise how long they took to prepare for the exams so that I can get a date booked?

 Does it really cost £30,000 to get out to Oz? I doubt I'd use an MA as I've been offered help by someone who is out there so that would save some money. I've no pets to ship out which I also believe bumps up the costs.

I think that's it for now but hope you don't mind me posting again if I need more expertise help!:unsure::unsure:

I really appreciate you reading my post and look forward to you sharing your experiences and sharing your knowledge.

Thanks, Kelly x

Hi Kelly firstly completely ignore the information on Go Matilda website just look at the SOL, I've spoken to Go Matilda myself (you can get a free over the phone consultation and she is really helpful). Im due to qualify as a paed nurse this year and from our conversation there is no problem with paed nurses, I will be applying for the 189 and my hubbie and children will be a dependant and his job is not on the sol either. Ive also never heard of supervisory unless you have a diploma and in some cases I think they are asking for 12 months supervisory but certainly not just because your are paediatric trained??

Ok on Brisbane, im not there but ive researched for years as this has been a long term plan and from what I can gather neonatal nurses are just as much in demand as here especially if you have the course. I had a wobble a while back as I really want to go into neonates from training but was worried I would limit myself on arrival to Australia. I joined a few facebook pages, one being poms on the bay and asked for advice from paed nurses out there. A couple said the Mater is always looking, may be worth contacting them direct but they do not offer sponsorship as most of queensland health now. Their website may be very outdated as I believe they did but this has changed a lot over the last couple of years. There is also a new hospital in Caloundra, sunshine coast which I have my eye one which opens end of 2016. This will have a SCBU and the hospital is taking invites of interest online. May be worth submitting CV? Also there is a hospital called Greenslopes I believe inner Brisbane near Ipswhich which has a SCBU they were advertising a while back as they also just opening a childrens ward.

I am planning on going out for a reccie when qualified and in midst of visa application, contact them all direct and ask for an informal chat. There is a lot of agency work at the moment for paediatric probably due to new childrens hospital, apparently from one of the main recruitment agencies Brisbane and Adelaide are the best states at the moment job wise for paed nurses. Look on seek.com.au for an idea and maybe worth contacting them for a chat about neonatal?

I would love to hear how you get on as ill be behind you in the visa process!

Good luck chantelle!

Chantelle have you worked out how their grading works? The Mater job I've applied for is a grade 5 just wondering how that compares to uk bandings.

Im not sure with regards to the specific job I just posted but I thought if a band 5 here you will go into same there against number of years post qualified ie 5/2? the pay scales for banding are available online, do you mean in regards to pay?

Archived